cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Duplex Scanning Crashes Unity Client EP3

Kris_Conrads
Elite Collaborator
Elite Collaborator

I am using Unity Client EP3 (20.3.18.1000).  I am in the process of a parallel upgrade from 16 to EP3.  Was just getting ready to release this to the rest of my users when one of my test users discovered this issue.

When a user Imports a document using Import -> Acquire, the Unity Client freezes when using duplex scanning. This is happening with a Fujitsu fi-6130 with the Twain driver and a Fujitsu fi-7160 with the Paperstream Twain driver.  I have downloaded and installed the most recent version of both drivers.

Steps to reproduce: User clicks Import and then Acquire. Selects the imaging device and clicks OK. The scanner interface opens and they select their desired scan settings. They click Scan. The scanner interface shows the pages are scanned. The OnBase window gets to page 2 and then freezes. The user has to close the Unity Client and none of the document is saved.  If they cancel on the scanner window, they get a message that Hyland.Scanning.Services.Host is not responding.  If they repeat these steps and select single-sided scanning, it works fine.  I tried selecting a document type before beginning and that didn't help.

In the Event Viewer, there's a message that obunity.exe stopped interacting with Windows and was closed.  There is nothing in the Diagnostics Console on the app server.  And, nothing in Troubleshooting or On Demand Diagnostics on the workstation.

I've looked in the Unity Client MRG. I see nothing special mentioned about duplex scanning. The Document Imaging MRG mentions the barcode recognition software, but I believe it is for Batch Scanning. I wouldn't think I would need to install the Barcode Recognition software for users that aren't using Batch Scanning. We didn't have to with previous versions.

I have reached out to my FLOS, but haven't heard anything back yet.  Just curious if anyone out there has experienced this as well. 

Thanks for your help!

9 REPLIES 9

Kathy_Baumann
Star Contributor
Star Contributor

We are also in the process of upgrading from 16 to EP3.  Our Unity Client is 20.3.2.1000, so not as high as your version.  I just tried your steps and I am able to successfully scan duplex with Fujitsu fi-1760  with Paperstream Twain driver.   Interested in finding out if it is an issue with your version.  (We do have Barcode Recognition, but I agree, it should not affect the use of "Import".)

Thanks for your information.  Unrelated to this issue, but, if you use Send To to send multiple documents as attachments, you'll want to go to a newer build.  There are major issues with attaching multiple documents that were addressed in 20.3.9.1000.  And, if your users use the Outlook Integration to upload documents with restricted keywords, you'll want to go to 20.3.17.1000 or higher because of issues there.  Just lessons I learned the hard way.

I appreciate the information.  I haven't tested Outlook integration yet - sounds like I need to do that sooner rather than later...  Again, thanks for the info.

Thank you for sharing your findings on the multiple documents using Send To attachments!  I just submitted a case to our FLOS on this earlier this week, and we are on 20.3.6.  Good to know it wasn't just us and I'll be curious if we can get a newer version installed to our Test environment for confirmation that this is resolved.