cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Capture process with multiple Advanced Capture steps and document separation pages

Deena_Hess1
Star Contributor
Star Contributor

I'm building a Capture Process for some batches that can have multiple large documents that can be hard to sort through and I'm trying to avoid having a manual step for document separation. As it stands the batches are being prepared for scanning with document separator pages. (I can't use Break on Blank Page). There are 3 document types in this process and the Advanced Capture templates are doing a fine job of identifying them. Here's the hitch. Most of the time I want two of the document types to stay together under the primary doc type. They are often related. However, there are many times that the secondary document type will come without the primary and will need to be identified and indexed on its own, but it's possible that it may be behind an unrelated primary document. I would like Advanced Capture to have a page registration zone that will only allow the form to break on a separation page. 

Here are the scenarios that I've come up with thus far. I'm hoping someone will be able to point me in the right direction

1 - Use the document separator page as the 1st page. The main problem with this is deleting the page so that it's not in the way during the rest of the process without opening the doors to accidental deletions

2 - Create two capture processes with access to different Adv Cap templates. Feed the batch to the first Adv Cap with just the separator page used to break up the documents, then export to the next Capture Process to run the actual document templates (configured to not allow breaks). I'm having trouble with not identifying the actual document types in this first run, so it's not getting past the a

1 ACCEPTED ANSWER

Hi Deena,

I think you could do what you're trying to do in one advanced capture process, by using a page registration zone as a "continuation" marker, specifically to identify a page of the secondary when you want it to continue being part of the primary document, and then also have a second template for the secondary document which is farther down in the search order...so the idea being, the system identifies the primary document, starts a new document here, and then begins processing through its pages...if at some point the secondary document follows it, the page registration zone detects it and marks it as "continue" document, which keeps on processing as the same document. On the other hand, if the secondary document begins somewhere in the batch and not preceded by the primary, then the secondary document template will catch it and begin a new document based on its rules. The primary's "continue document" rule takes precedence over the secondary template's ability to match, so this should accomplish what you're describing, and be able to do it in one pass through advanced capture.

View answer in original post

2 REPLIES 2

Hi Deena,

I think you could do what you're trying to do in one advanced capture process, by using a page registration zone as a "continuation" marker, specifically to identify a page of the secondary when you want it to continue being part of the primary document, and then also have a second template for the secondary document which is farther down in the search order...so the idea being, the system identifies the primary document, starts a new document here, and then begins processing through its pages...if at some point the secondary document follows it, the page registration zone detects it and marks it as "continue" document, which keeps on processing as the same document. On the other hand, if the secondary document begins somewhere in the batch and not preceded by the primary, then the secondary document template will catch it and begin a new document based on its rules. The primary's "continue document" rule takes precedence over the secondary template's ability to match, so this should accomplish what you're describing, and be able to do it in one pass through advanced capture.

Ok, I think I'm following, but I need some clarification. The only way I see this working is if all of the lone secondary docs are stacked before the 1st primary doc. Otherwise it's always going to use the continuation zone. In my scenario, the lone secondary documents could easily be stacked to follow the primary documents unless they were sorted out and put on top.

We did end up solving this particular process with document separation pages for each doc type in front of the document with a keyword field that deletes the page. But this is a smaller process. I'm getting ready to crank up the next phase that has larger batches with a greater variety of document types, and less time for sorting. Yay!