Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AutoIndex Service

Luke_Nguyen
Confirmed Champ
Confirmed Champ

Hi,

I have an Automated Index Processing Queue to AutoIndex invoices.  For this queue, under Batch Processing, I have Automated Index Processing & Automatic Automated Index Processing checked.  I also have a Windows Service with the obligatory -SCANAUTOINDEX switch to kickoff the AutoIndex process on a dedicated Processing Server.  When viewing CPU usage in Resource Monitor, I've noticed that the AutoIndex.exe process kicks off every 3 minutes and runs for 2 minutes before it idles for 3 minutes again, then runs for 2 minutes, and so forth.  Is "normal" operation?  Can this timing be changed?  Thanks.

- Luke

1 ACCEPTED ANSWER

Luke - since you're using a dedicated server with the -SCANAUTOINDEX switch, you want to go back into Config and uncheck the 'automatic automated index processing' option.  You don't want the system to try and run the process automatically on the machine that moves the batch to the awaiting AI queue (which is what this option does)...instead you want the machine with the -SCANAUTOINDEX switch to pick up the batches and process them.

Yes - once you've made the above change so only the one machine is trying to process the AI batches, you can control how often it checks for new batches in the OnBase INI file on that machine.  There is an entry in there 'AutoProcessDelay=XXX' where XXX is the polling interval in seconds.  The default is 300 seconds (once every five minutes).  You can adjust this value (down to a minimum of 30 seconds) but you'll have to restart the service after making any changes to this value or the service client won't pick up the changes.

View answer in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Luke - since you're using a dedicated server with the -SCANAUTOINDEX switch, you want to go back into Config and uncheck the 'automatic automated index processing' option.  You don't want the system to try and run the process automatically on the machine that moves the batch to the awaiting AI queue (which is what this option does)...instead you want the machine with the -SCANAUTOINDEX switch to pick up the batches and process them.

Yes - once you've made the above change so only the one machine is trying to process the AI batches, you can control how often it checks for new batches in the OnBase INI file on that machine.  There is an entry in there 'AutoProcessDelay=XXX' where XXX is the polling interval in seconds.  The default is 300 seconds (once every five minutes).  You can adjust this value (down to a minimum of 30 seconds) but you'll have to restart the service after making any changes to this value or the service client won't pick up the changes.

Luke_Nguyen
Confirmed Champ
Confirmed Champ

Thanks for the info.  I unchecked the option you mention in config.  I change the interval to 600 and restarted the service.  This time the pattern was 8 minutes idle, 2 minutes run, 8 minutes idle, 2 minutes run.  Does the AutoIndex process always run for 120 seconds even when there is nothing to index in the queue?

No - if there are no batches to process, then the AI service goes back to sleep immediately.  My best guess to explain what you're seeing is that when the timer fires, the client wakes up, checks for batches, doesn't find any, but before it goes back to being completely idle, the client is also doing all of its other background work - including, but not limited to: updating the UI (even though you can't see it because it is running as a service), doing license usage updates, cleaning up memory since the last time the client went idle, etc.  So I think what you're seeing is normal - it's just that it does all of this work right after the AI batch process runs because it is going back to sleep at this point, and that's the trigger for doing idle-time processing in the background.