cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Version 23.1 HL7 Sender failing to send messages: Error. destination machine not accessible

Jim_Wysocki
Star Contributor
Star Contributor

I'm starting to upgrade one of our test environments from EP5 to 23.1.  I'm having an issue with the HL7 Sender failing to send messages.  It's getting the "Error. destination machine not accessible.". 

The processing server that I'm running  it on has both versions (EP5 and 23.1) installed on it.  The EP5 version of the thick client works fine.  The 23.1 version does not even though it's running as the same Windows user and OnBase user.  Running the 23.1 thick client in the foreground yields the same results.  The only other difference is that I'm running the version 23.1 from a "loose file" folder, not the regular folder that I have the installer using. 

I do notice that in 23.1 there is a new checkbox for the Export Destinations, that being "Require Connection Security Policy".  I tried checking that checkbox but that just makes the HL7 Sender thick client crash.

Any ideas what could be the cause?

1 ACCEPTED ANSWER

Travis_Henry
Employee
Employee

Good Afternoon Jim, 

It sounds like you may be running into the following defect:

• HC-172128 - If any HL7 Export Destinations do not contain a network address, the HL7 Sender fails to send messages to all HL7 Export Destinations (including valid destinations).

This behavior exists if there are any Export Destinations set in OnBase Config with no network address, even if they are  not in use. So would you be able to make sure that there is a network address set for each destination to see if this resolves the issue? 

You will also want to make sure that "Require Connection Security Policy" is not set without the other required settings as it will cause the Sender to close due to the incomplete configurations 

View answer in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Travis_Henry
Employee
Employee

Good Afternoon Jim, 

It sounds like you may be running into the following defect:

• HC-172128 - If any HL7 Export Destinations do not contain a network address, the HL7 Sender fails to send messages to all HL7 Export Destinations (including valid destinations).

This behavior exists if there are any Export Destinations set in OnBase Config with no network address, even if they are  not in use. So would you be able to make sure that there is a network address set for each destination to see if this resolves the issue? 

You will also want to make sure that "Require Connection Security Policy" is not set without the other required settings as it will cause the Sender to close due to the incomplete configurations 

That was the issue.  The test environment did have an Export Destination defined without an address.  I updated it to have a valid address even though we aren't using it and now messages are going thru.

Thanks, I owe you one!

Thanks @Travis

I just want to add that the above-referenced defect (HC-172128) impacts OnBase versions 22.1 and later. Starting in 24.1, however, the Export Destinations configuration dialog will no longer accept blank Destination Network Address values. Additionally, in systems that already have a misconfigured Export Destination prior to upgrading, the HL7 Sender will no longer start if a blank Destination Network Address value detected. If this occurs, an error will be written to the HL7 Sender verbose logs: '"Host" does not contain a valid value.'

The solution is to do what Travis suggested and @Jim did - make sure all HL7 Export Destinations have a valid Destination Network Address, even if the Export Destination is not being used. 

When we ran into this issue it wasn't from a user created destination with a blank address but was a result of using the TSC to create a test system which clears out all of the destination addresses.

Getting started

Find what you came for

We want to make your experience in Hyland Connect as valuable as possible, so we put together some helpful links.