cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Order level scanning

Ashley_Gentry
Champ in-the-making
Champ in-the-making

My organization is in the process of implementing Epic and OnBase. The question has been brought up about scanning at the order level within OnBase.  All the information I am finding on community is years old.  Can someone please let me know what your organization is doing and how it is working for you.

10 REPLIES 10

Travis_McKee
Confirmed Champ
Confirmed Champ
I'm also interested in this. We are building out the specs of the interface now, but the biggest question is what orders are being sent to OnBase? Media Manager in Epic has a limited list of Orders that can have documents attached, but we're not sure how to replicate that in an interface for OnBase to mimic.

Not applicable
Right now, we are allowing OnBase users to scan to the order level, but in 95% of the cases, Epic is creating an unsolicited order for the OnBase document. I am also in the middle of building out orders level interfaces from Epic to OnBase. We have spec'd out 5 different orders level interfaces: Radiant, 3 for labs, and 1 for ancillary. I would love to hear more from what other areas are doing. What kind of filtering do you have to restrict the types of orders? What about scanning to external orders?

Julia_Tabaj
Employee
Employee

Hello!

Earlier this year, I gave a presentation to the Healthcare Vogue Epic Special Interest Group about Scanning to Orders. Unfortunately it is a hard process to come up with a best practice around due to all of the different scenarios surrounding orders, but this webinar will give you an overview of the different options and pros/cons of each. 

As for specs for the ORM feed, we create a Standard Autofill (so not chart based, order based, or MRN based) with Order Number being the primary. It also contains all of the encounter information plus order specific keywords like Order Date, Order Physician Information and Order Description. 

Figuring out which ORM messages to send OnBase from Epic is also a tad tricky as we don't want all of the orders from Epic, just those that could have their results scanned.  

Thanks,

Julia Tabaj

Solution Owner

Thanks for the links, I'll go look through the presentation and video now. The advice about a standard autofill is a good tip too. It makes sense and will probably reduce interface error cleanup on the Epic side, we'll definitely dig into building out that way!

Finally, the part about which ORM messages to send is exactly where we are hung up right now. Any advice you might have or best practices you've encountered would be most welcome!

Thanks again for the reply!

Travis