cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Advance Document Import

Melissa_Tinsley
Confirmed Champ
Confirmed Champ

Can one Advanced document import process handle multiple file formats using a single document type?

2 REPLIES 2

CurtisFox
Employee
Employee

Hi @Melissa - This is possible, but you would have to have a different HL7 Code sent to OnBase for each file format that could be received for whatever field you have mapped to $$DOCTYPE in your HL7 Message Template in OnBase. For example, the HL7 code could be and EKG, but you could send "EKG IMG" or "EKG PDF" to OnBase. Each of those could be used to map to the same document type, but different file formats.

OnBase does not currently have the ability to look at another field to determine the file format - only the document type and the file extension. OnBase does not use the file extension to determine the file format. It may be worth submitting an enhancement Idea to request that OnBase be configurable to use the file extension to determine the file format (such as a file extension/file format mapping dialog). 

Depending on the capabilities of your HL7 interface engine, you may be able to have the interface modify the HL7 field mapped to $$DOCTYPE to append certain values based on other fields within the HL7 message. Essentially, using the HL7 interface engine to map the file extension to file formats for you, by passing the correct HL7 code to OnBase so that OnBase stores the document as the desired file format.

For more information on how OnBase determines the document type and file extension, please see: Document Type and File Type Resolution for Advanced Document Import • HL7 Module

For more information on how to map HL7 codes to document types and file formats, please see: Mapping Document Types for Advanced Document Import • HL7 Module

Hello @Curtis Fox & @Melissa Tinsley ,

I went ahead and already submitted the Idea for adding the ability to use the $$FILEEXT as the File Type mapping value in the Document Type Mapping screen here. I guess I personally assumed that when you said the $$FILEEXT value that you were also setting the File Type, but finding this out now that you aren't makes sense as well. (Bad of me to assume, I know. lol)

Thanks for the detailed response Curtis. This definitely helps out!

Thanks.