cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unity Scheduler - Reporting Dashboard, Error : Object reference not set to an instance of an object

Natalya_Svoysky
Confirmed Champ
Confirmed Champ

I've setup a Unity Scheduled Dashboard. Created service to run it and when runs on schedule it generates the error:

Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

When the same task is executed manually, report is successfully created and saved in specified network location.  

1 ACCEPTED ANSWER

Paul_Lloyd
Employee
Employee

Whenever a Unity Scheduler task runs OK when executed manually, but fails when executed at its scheduled time by a Unity Scheduler Service, the first thing I like to examine is the Windows Account that's running the Unity Scheduler Service.

When a task is executed manually, it is run on the Application Server. The IIS Worker process that runs the Application Server usually runs as a Windows Domain Account with network access, including access to all the OnBase Disk Groups etc.

When a task is executed on its schedule by a Unity Scheduler Service instance, the Windows Account that runs the service should also be an account with network access, including access to the OnBase disk Groups. So it should have the same permissions as the account running the Application Server's IIS Worker Process. I.e. it should probably be a Windows Domain Account.

When a Unity Scheduler Service Instance is installed, if you don't specify a Windows Account to run the service instance, it will use the default account, LocalSystem. But LocalSystem does not have network access, and so it generally won't be sufficient to run tasks (unless all the disk groups are on the local machine).

The screenshot below shows two Unity Scheduler Service Instances. The first runs as LocalSystem, the second as a Domain Account

48fabaf105254365a9e1f6fcc4b359f9If, after checking, you find that your Service Instance is a Domain Account, then we need further troubleshooting. We'd need to get more details of the error. The Diagnostics Console might have more details.

View answer in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Paul_Lloyd
Employee
Employee

Whenever a Unity Scheduler task runs OK when executed manually, but fails when executed at its scheduled time by a Unity Scheduler Service, the first thing I like to examine is the Windows Account that's running the Unity Scheduler Service.

When a task is executed manually, it is run on the Application Server. The IIS Worker process that runs the Application Server usually runs as a Windows Domain Account with network access, including access to all the OnBase Disk Groups etc.

When a task is executed on its schedule by a Unity Scheduler Service instance, the Windows Account that runs the service should also be an account with network access, including access to the OnBase disk Groups. So it should have the same permissions as the account running the Application Server's IIS Worker Process. I.e. it should probably be a Windows Domain Account.

When a Unity Scheduler Service Instance is installed, if you don't specify a Windows Account to run the service instance, it will use the default account, LocalSystem. But LocalSystem does not have network access, and so it generally won't be sufficient to run tasks (unless all the disk groups are on the local machine).

The screenshot below shows two Unity Scheduler Service Instances. The first runs as LocalSystem, the second as a Domain Account

48fabaf105254365a9e1f6fcc4b359f9If, after checking, you find that your Service Instance is a Domain Account, then we need further troubleshooting. We'd need to get more details of the error. The Diagnostics Console might have more details.

Thank you for your prompt reply! I did verify the access and all is set up with Full control. but now even manual execution gives the same error, though file is getting generated and saved. For testing purposed i'm saving it on a local machine where scheduler is installed. 

I recommend using the Diagnostics Console to get more information about the error. Even though your report is being created, it would be nice to know why the error is occurring. You might ask your First Line of Support for assistance.

Could you please advise what tab in Diagnostics Console it would be recorded as I couldn't find anything related to it?