cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WorkView Reporting Options

Juan_Trevino
Star Contributor
Star Contributor

There is no shortage of reporting options within WorkView.  So I wanted to gather some opinions and possible best practices on when to use what reporting/data delivery mechanisms for users.

Environment: On-Prem environment with 24.1.7; primarily web client (want to avoid Unity if possible)

Claim system users process hundreds of objects a day, and these claims can be in various states/statuses.  Currently, business groups use filters to retrieve objects in different statuses.  However, the web client has proven a bit of a challenge from time to time.  Mainly, by default, filters are maxed out at 1000 items by default.  It is worth noting too that most of the reports we generate are data grid type data dumps and less of a dashboard.  These grids often return all attributes, which can be 30+ columns. While it is common for filters to contain thousands of items at a time, it is uncommon for someone to request "all items" in a query.  We often force parameters in filters (User Prompts), but that would not stop someone from setting a Date Range for 5 years and quickly exceeding the 1000 limit.

1. WorkView Filters - Filters are base for all other areas, so these look like they will be built regardless
    • PROS: Data is all in a centralized place for users as they live and work within the WorkView context;
    • CONS: Max limit concerns
      • If we increase the WVMaxResults in Web Server web.config from 1000 to x, is there a max number (x) that OnBase supports? Is there guidance around performance hits?
  2. WorkView Filters - Reportable View
    • PROS: Easy data provider in Reporting Dashboards that can be promoted from env to env
    • CONS: Still need to create the dashboard one column a time, effectively duplicating effort of building the filter
  3. Reporting Dashboards - we can create a Module Association from the filter, which then can be used to create a Data Provider in Reporting Dashboards.
    • PROS: Allows us to get past the 1000 limit
    • CONS: Still need to create the dashboard one column a time, effectively duplicating effort of building the filter
  4. SQL Data Provider
    • PROS: Allows us to fully customize the output in SQL
    • CONS: Has to be rebuilt in each environment as attribute numbers will change env to env; Still need to create the dashboard one column a time, effectively duplicating effort of building the filter
  5. API
    • We are early in the stages of investigating API calls for work-items in filters.  This would potentially be used if a user wants a data dump and not necessarily looking for a dashboard.
  6. ???

So, for large data sets, how does your organization report out WorkView items sitting in a variety of different filters? Do you utilize different ones for different types of data returns? And how do you streamline the UX if reports are in different spots (filters vs dashboards)?

2 REPLIES 2

Eric_Beavers
Employee
Employee

You may be interested in Report Processor (built into WorkView in 2004 for the purpose of creating SOX compliance documents). However, I am not sure how it will perform with large datasets.

Technical Tips and Tricks: November 2015 – WorkView Charts with Report Processor 2.0 (hyland.com)

Documentation:

https://support.hyland.com/r/OnBase/WorkView/Foundation-24.1/WorkView/Report-Processor/Using-the-Rep...

Nick_Knight1
Confirmed Champ
Confirmed Champ

I did just want to point something out.

Reportable Views weren't really created for Reporting Dashboards.  Dashboards has its own Filter-backed data providers so you can get to WV filter data without reportable views.

What Reportable Views were intended to do was take away the need to code to attribute and class ids and use simple, dependable field names to access WV data.  This way, any third party reporting tool can create WV-based reports.

What that also means is that SQL coders have an easier time querying for WV data if a reportable view is created.  If that DB view exists on all of your environments, the same SQL will run on all of them too.

I would dabble with the Report Processor, too.  I'm partial to that but I can't say why.  Hmmmm/