cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Log entry string is too long.

Chris_Mckinney1
Champ in-the-making
Champ in-the-making

We have one user who gets this exception frequently when coding/approving invoices and using ad-hoc tasks. Has anyone had this problem before?

b43746a1e1054d3eba81e5c7a759602c

10 REPLIES 10

The event viewer error looks like an image-processing component used by Reporting Dashboards is not being initialized. However, that isn't the error that triggered the "log entry string is too long" message because that message was never written to the Event Viewer.

I am curious as to why there's nothing in the Diagnostics Console. Your DiagnosticsConsole route configuration looks ok to me.

Unfortunately, I don't know enough about Reporting Dashboards to be able to configure logging for it.

And that lack of knowledge means I'm not able to offer much assistance in explaining the behavior you are seeing.

I have added Reporting Dashboards to the tags for this Post, so that those with more Reporting Dashboards expertise can see it, and hopefully respond.

. The only other thing I can suggest is to contact your first line of support, for assistance with the problem itself, and to ensure you have logging correctly configured.

Thank you, Paul,

I have opened a case and will keep you informed to provide an answer to.

Brett_Booz
Star Contributor
Star Contributor

Thanks Paul. The error occurs when trying to filter a Reporting Dashboard report that is using a SQL Data provider.

The version of HylandLogging.Core.dll I can find on my local machine (Unity Client) reports a file version of 14.2.1.3 and a product version of 14.2.1. That doesn't match the numbering scheme you reference so maybe I'm checking wrong? I haven't been able to find anything in the Diagnostic Console the correlates. It looks like that DLL on the app server has the same version (14.2.1).

Right before those errors appear in Windows Event Viewer there is the following error:

System.Windows.Markup.XamlParseException: Initialization of 'System.Windows.Setter' threw an exception. ---> System.NotSupportedException: No imaging component suitable to complete this operation was found.

I'm pretty sure this isn't a 3rd-party dll. All I'm doing is exercising the basic Reporting Dashboard report functionality. I don't even know how I'd introduce a 3rd-party exit in that process. The SQL is pretty straight forward against the OnBase database itself.

I know this worked previously, so I'm not sure what changed. It's not hard to avoid for now, we only have a few people using Reporting Dashboards and it's easy enough to download the data to Excel, but it would be nice to have this native functionality restored. 

I can open a case with FLOS when I have time to engage, but if you have any other suggestions I'd love to hear them.

You do appear to have the correct version of HylandLogging.Core.dll, I referred to 4.2 but it should be 14.2. My apologies for that. I have corrected this in my comment.

This does appear to be the same error that Julien reported

The exception is a Xaml Parse exception. My knowledge of Reporting Dashboards is very limited, but I believe XAML is used to specify the dashboards' layout. My guess is that there's a problem with the dashboard configuration so when Windows attempts to initialize the dashboard (or the report) it's throwing an exception.

The fact that you see Event Viewer message but no corresponding entries in Diagnostics Console indicates that the exception is being handled by Windows. My guess is that the exception triggers another, which Windows also attempts to handle, but this one is to long for Event Viewer hence the Log entry is too long message that you see.

I don't know enough about Reporting Dashboards to be able to suggest how to resolve this.

I would encourage you to report it to your FLOS, especially since it does appear to be the same error as Julien's 

But other than that, I don't have any other suggestions.

Brett_Booz
Star Contributor
Star Contributor

@Julien HYVERT Did you ever get a resolution? We are having what sounds like a very similar issue. Thanks!