cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Getting started - creating dashboards to report on workflow activity

Marlyn_Soto
Confirmed Champ
Confirmed Champ

We are just getting started with Reporting Dashboards (actually still in demo mode).  Does anyone have any advice?  We will like to create dashboards that will present the following high level data and will allow us to drill down to see the data points that make up the aggregate.

• Effort - duration spent from the time the document (Unity Form) was opened in a queue to the time the document exited the queue (knowing that this may be off if the resource walks away from the request).  - Appears to require a custom data provider to join the doc to the life cycle queue.
  • Duration in queue - Time lapse from when the request enters the queue and the time it exits the queue (believe I found a data provider that displays this information).  Is it possible to join data providers to display related data in one visual diagram?
  • Duration in Life Cycle -  Time lapse from submission to completion (Same as above, basic data provider has this information)
  • Average time per LC and queue based on activity over time.

The goal is to identify bottlenecks or areas of improvements and to be able to leverage the data against a benchmark to capture the return on investment (benchmark would show the effort and duration of the manual process).  We were hoping that Reporting Dashboards provided these out of the box but we have been told that we will need some custom queries.  Trying to understand how all of the components fit together.  There is plenty of information out there but where should we start?  Hoping some of the more seasoned clients can help me get started.  

Thank you 

Marlyn Soto

Fordham University

2 REPLIES 2

Lood_Strydom1
Star Contributor
Star Contributor

Hi Marlyn

Regarding your "Effort" measure - I don't believe you necessarily require a custom data provider.  What you would need though is a date-time keyword, eg UserStart, and an ad-hoc task like "Take Ownership" within which you can then set the UserStart keyword.  You can then calculate the time difference between the UserStart KW and queue exit to get some sort of duration.

You have to familiarize yourself with calculated fields in the dashboard studio - a very valuable feature that is unfortunately not very well documented.  Calculated fields are a HUGE help especially if you want to use basic data providers as far as possible.

Have fun with your dashboards - it can be frustrating at times, but once you get the hang of it, it can be quite powerful too.

Lood

Marlyn_Soto
Confirmed Champ
Confirmed Champ

Hi Lood

Thank you for the information.  I will definitely look into calculated fields.  Hyland did complete the two data providers for us and now I am working on creating dashboards. I did come across a post where 'Out of the Box' templates were made available.  I am hoping that they will provide some insight into workflow metrics.  I plan on taking a look this week.

Thanks again

Marlyn Soto