Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

XML Error in field modifier class

Hae_Yoo
Champ in-the-making
Champ in-the-making

Hi,

I was using Hyland.Unity.FIeldModifier.ApplyChanges() method, and when I was updating an EForm by using this method, I got the following XML error:

System.Xml.XmlException: The '"' character, hexadecimal value 0x22, cannot be included in a name. Line 8, position 52.    at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.Throw(Exception e)    at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.Throw(String res, String[] args)    at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.Throw(Int32 pos, String res, String[] args)    at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.ParseElement()    at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.ParseElementContent()    at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.Read()    at System.Xml.XmlTextReader.Read()    at Hyland.Types.XmlTextReaderEx.Read()    at Hyland.Types.EncryptedServiceObject.ReadXml(XmlReader reader, SerializationContext context)    at Hyland.Public.ServiceObject.ReadXml(String xml, SerializationContext context)    at Hyland.Types.ParameterList.ReadServiceObject[TServiceObject](String paramName, SerializationContext context)    at Hyland.Types.ParameterList.ReadServiceObject[TServiceObject](String paramName)    at Hyland.Types.ParameterList.ReadServiceObjectNotNull[TServiceObject](String paramName)    at Hyland.Types.ParameterList.AccessElement(String paramName)    at Hyland.Unity.EForm.getEFormFields()    at Hyland.Unity.EForm.get_Fields()    at Hyland.Unity.FieldModifier.ApplyChanges()

Obviously, I am not parsing any XML, and unity is doing this from the behind when it is updating the information to the eform.

Is anyone familiar with this error?

Thanks.

2 REPLIES 2

Jonathan_Thorn2
Confirmed Champ
Confirmed Champ

The fieldmodifier likely uses a XML parser to edit the stored eform file with the field values in it.

If you look at what gets stored for a eform on disk you see something like this....

FieldName1=FieldValue1&FieldName2=&FieldValue2&FieldName3=&FieldValue3

From the looks of the error, you have a "bad" eform field name in your source eform.

Hyland has a great eform validation tool (EFValid.exe) that is great for tracking down issues like this.  

You'll likely need to call support to get the download link.

Scott_McLean
Elite Collaborator
Elite Collaborator
Hi H,The error being called is indicating that a quotation mark ("), which is ASCII hex character 0x22, is being parsed as part of a field name. Since that character is a control character in HTML and XML, this would produce an error. Try running your HTML through the WWWC validator service (http://validator.w3.org) to check for errors in the code. The error you're looking for will most likely appear in an tag and may be that you have three quotation marks rather than two surrounding the name="whatever" attribute. Once your HTML validates without errors on the validator service, I would expect that this error will stop occurring.Kind regards,-Scott