Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WorkStation Registration - Computer/Host Name with Special Characters

Michael_Snyder
Star Contributor
Star Contributor

Hello,

Recently, I assisted with setting up two new workstations that were installed OnBase 12 Thick Clients (we will be upgrading to OnBase 15 soon).  Each of those workstations have computer/host names containing HYPHEN characters - and lower case letters.  OnBase behind the scenes has converted those HYPHENS with lower case letter m.  Furthermore, those workstations become a USER in my Oracle 11g2 database that show UPPER CASE letter M.  For instance, here is how things spell out...

COMPUTER/HOST Name                    Workstation Registration Name                 ORACLE User Name

AB-CD-EF-999XYZ                                ABmCDmEFm999XYZ                                ABMCDMEFM999XYZ 

I'd just like to know if this situation has been fixed in the later releases of OnBase so that lower case and HYPHENS can be accommodated across the board - meaning the actual COMPUTER/HOST Name (containing special characters like HYPHEN) is preserved in both the OnBase Workstation Registration Name and ORACLE User Name.

Any answer or insight is greatly appreciated on this topic.

Best regards to you,

Mike

3 REPLIES 3

Scott_Johnson3
World-Class Innovator
World-Class Innovator

Hi Michael

It is still that way in 15 sp 2.

Scott

Well, okay. I guess it's an exception then. In SQL, you'd expect a hyphen to be picked up as a continuation character for the SQL code. But you could create a USER on the database by enclosing the User (or in this case the Computer/host name) inside double qoutes - Create User " AB-CD-EF-999XYZ" Identified By "some-password"...

The other thing is that there are recommendations for NOT using hyphens in User Names. community.oracle.com/.../2190517 It is possible to use a hyphen but as the thread states, it should be avoided. Perhaps we can say that computer/host names may not lend themselves well for using as User Names within databases.