Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

File Size Limit

Eugene_Stasenko
Champ in-the-making
Champ in-the-making

Hello,

My organization uses OnBase 13.0.2.628 SP2 and we recently put new printers into place that scan with color.  Since the scans are now done in color, the file sizes are larger and several of the multi-page documents are hitting the file size limit.  An example error below: 

WARNING!!!! Document too large to send via e-mail. Max attachment size set to 50000000

Is there a way to increase this setting in OnBase or would it be better to switch our scanning back to black/white?  My understanding is that the 50,000,000 is in bits which comes out to 6.25MB.  The rough allowable mail limit should be somewhere around 20MB.  If you could help me find the setting, I'd appreciate it.

Thank You,

Eugene

1 ACCEPTED ANSWER

Glenn_Vose1
Champ on-the-rise
Champ on-the-rise

if you are using Distribution service to email these out then this setting can be adjusted in Hyland.Core.Distribution.NTService.exe.config file.  The adjustemnt that would need to be made is on the line smtpSettings maxMessageSize="50000000".  The configuration file states <!-- Testing has shown e-mail message sizes > 60MB cause undesired effects on system performance -->

View answer in original post

7 REPLIES 7

Jay_MacVean
Star Collaborator
Star Collaborator
EugeneI'll bet that the file attachment warning is coming from your mail system, not OnBase. The image size from scanning color might be too large because the file is uncompressed color which would be enormous. Check your scan settings to make sure that you're storing a compressed JPG and not a BMP which is uncompressed. A single page of color scanning doesn't need 200dpi because you've already got three more pixels for every one you used to have for BW. Drop back to less 100dpi (70 lets say) and make sure compression is enabled. Might do the trick.Jay

Eugene_Stasenko
Champ in-the-making
Champ in-the-making

Hey Jay,

I looked at the settings and unfortunately, 200 x 200 is the lowest I can set within the printer admin console.  The documents are being scanned as a TIFF format.    I just looked at our Outlook mail settings and our size delivery limit is set to 40MB.  This leads me to believe that the warning message is coming from OnBase and not Exchange.  Do you have any other thoughts?

Thanks,

Eugene

Jay_MacVean
Star Collaborator
Star Collaborator
EugeneI'm disappointed in the 200x200 setting. Hopefully there is a firmware update that can affect that. If the finished size for one page above 250K I suspect that compression still isn't happening. A GIF format is compressed by its very nature but if that's not available you'll have to see if any file types can lead to smaller sizes by experimentation. If this MFP becomes the dominate method of capture you'll be seeing a large growth in your file storage and a decrease in your retrieval times for large documents. If changes to MFP can't be made that drop the file size then you have to either swallow hard and accept the problem or look to pushing the files into a folder first where another process could compress them and change their format. We've used a product called Neevia to compress, change format and file stamp documents before they are imported via DirIP. Its cheap and works well running as a service and they provide a scripting tool as well. Getting the files managed at the source is always best obviously. Neevia has sure helped us out with a similar situation. Jay

Mike_Saville
Elite Collaborator
Elite Collaborator

Some thoughsts.

Can the MFP be setup to scan in B&W instead of color.  Maybe you can train the users to change it to B&W when scanning.  Most MFPs can have this setting adjusted for a default setting.

Most MFPs support scanning to PDF.  Is storing as a PDF and option for you.

If you are manually emailing documents, there is an option in OnBase to send as PDF.  Typically the PDF file is smaller than the color TIFF files.