cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why does the Application Server MRG say to not setup Application Pool Recycling?

Ryan_Wakefield
World-Class Innovator
World-Class Innovator

So I was researching and found out that the Application Server recommends to set the Application Pools to not recycle at all. However, I know that there are quite a few things that require an application pool recycles. Can someone from Hyland explain why the MRG doesn't recommend having recycling at the application pool level setup? And if this is true, then what do you recommend us doing? Nightly full iisresets? iisresets with the /noforce switch? Something else?

Thanks.

2 ACCEPTED ANSWERS

aboucher
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @Ryan Wakefield,

The Application Server - OnBase Foundation EP5 Module Reference Guide   on page 93 mentions

Reset Cache
Modules that use an Application Server do not reflect changes made in OnBase Configuration
until after the Application Server is refreshed. You can refresh the Application Server by
recycling its application pool or resetting its cache. For example, if you add a new print queue
or a print format, you need to refresh the Application Server in order for the changes to be
reflected in the Web Client. A refresh is not required for clients to reflect changes to user
privileges and rights, because these configurations are not cached.

Caution: Recycling the application pools disconnects users who are logged on to OnBase
through the Application Server or Web Server. Any unsaved work by these users will be lost.
Application pool recycling should occur during scheduled maintenance hours when no users
are connected to the Application Server.

You will see more details in Implementing Changes in Core Services starting on page 183 in the System Administration - OnBase Foundation EP5 Module Reference Guide.

Therefore, recycling your application pool only needs to be performed when large-scale changes, such as Application Server changes, are made.  For these changes, you should schedule system downtime to recycle the application pool to ensure no users are connected to OnBase to prevent data loss.

Thanks!

~Alan

View answer in original post

Doug_Kupec
Employee
Employee

hi Ryan,

The Application Server MRG is referring to not recycle based on:

1. time interval (in minutes) -this is calculated from startup/last recycle
  2. number of requests
  3. memory usage

Depending on Windows Server version the default recycle value may be set to 1740 minutes, so at some point in the middle of the business day. This is why the MRG states to set it to 0.

If you want to do daily recycles, use the Specific time(s) option configured to an acceptable value for downtime. I don't see an option for a once a week recycle, though I could be missing the option.

Application Servers also need enough time to cleanup temporary data and active sessions. This could take 90 seconds or more. You may need to adjust the timeout on the application pool to allow the process to shutdown cleanly without the process from being killed.

IISReset can be used on a nightly or weekly schedule. It is going to stop all active Application Pools and the related IIS processes, so this is a longer process requiring a longer maintenance window. IISReset may be necessary when IIS gets into an unhealthy state where recycling an application pool does not resolve an issue. The timeouts described above also apply to this option.

hope this helps,

Doug

View answer in original post

6 REPLIES 6

Hi Doug,

Referencing this post for a case I am investigating. When you say "Application Servers also need enough time to cleanup temporary data and active sessions. This could take 90 seconds or more. You may need to adjust the timeout on the application pool to allow the process to shutdown cleanly without the process from being killed." what timeout setting are you referring to? In the EP3 Application Server MRG, the only setting I am seeing for the Application Pool is the 'Idle Time-out (minutes)' setting and it recommends to set this to 0 on page 105.

Emma, the setting is called "Shutdown Time Limit (seconds)".  It can be found in the IIS Manager within Advanced Settings for an application pool, under the Process Model section.

This article explains the setting in more detail as well as a specific event log message to determine if the timeout is being hit. https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/troubleshoot/developer/webapps/iis/health-diagnostic-performance/a...