cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why do you have to do an iisreset when you update a client?

Ryan_Wakefield
World-Class Innovator
World-Class Innovator

So something has been bothering me recently and that is surrounding the reasoning for why you have to do an iisreset when you perform an update on a client. This has really confused me because one of the things that I was told was that when you connected to the IdP servers you didn't need to worry about connecting to the same one during your session, that you could connect to any one of them. So what this tells me is that the Hyland IdP server is pretty much stateless and doesn't worry about relying on anything cache related, but will pull the most current information needed.

However, this in turn means that when I make a change to the idpconfig.json file for a specific client (made in the admin site of course), then when I attempt to connect next again with that exact same client it should see the updated configuration and follow it. However, I have come to find out that this isn't the case and that in order to see the updated settings, you have to perform an iisreset. Well, doing this in a production environment is not exactly the best of things to do because this could take your IdP authentication down.

Can someone please tell me why an iisreset needs to be performed and how I can avoid doing one, especially in production?

Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED ANSWER

AdamShaneHyland
Employee
Employee

Hi @Ryan Wakefield ,

It is currently needed because the changes made in the Hyland IDP Admin UI update the idpconfig.json and those changes are not reflected in the Hyland IDP until the process is restarted. 

The feature request to allow for changes without a recycle is documented with CI-2736 which has not been implemented as of Hyland IDP 2.11.

Best wishes.

View answer in original post

2 REPLIES 2

AdamShaneHyland
Employee
Employee

Hi @Ryan Wakefield ,

It is currently needed because the changes made in the Hyland IDP Admin UI update the idpconfig.json and those changes are not reflected in the Hyland IDP until the process is restarted. 

The feature request to allow for changes without a recycle is documented with CI-2736 which has not been implemented as of Hyland IDP 2.11.

Best wishes.

Perfect. Thank you @Adam Shane for letting me know that this is a current request that is out there. I will reach out to my FLOS and request that we be attached to that CI request. 🙂

Thanks.