cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What do you purge, if anything?

Michelle_Troxel
Elite Collaborator
Elite Collaborator

We have been live for almost 7 years now and don't purge anything. This includes system documents. Our database is 2.6 Tb and we have over 60 Tb of document storage. I don't think we really need to save something like the transaction logs forever. Or do we? For those of you that purge, what do you purge and when? 

We are version 18, Healthcare. We wouldn't purge any patient documents and I think that's why we chose not to purge anything.

thanks!

2 REPLIES 2

Jeanne_Flynn
Star Contributor
Star Contributor

Hey, Michelle.  I'm in government so our rules are different, but we're going business unit by business unit to decide what to purge based on retention statutes.  If you have a records manager in your organization, they really need to be involved.  We go through the steps of:

1.  Is OnBase the system of record for a particular artifact or document?  If it isn't, then the rules differ.  For example, we may have child welfare documents which seem to have permanent retention, but if that retention is done on what the State's system has ours can be purged earlier.

2.  What laws are there about the document?  In addition to client records, we have documents that pertain to the development or testing of systems, which have their own retention.

3.  One of the reasons to purge is to avoid disclosure after retention is complete, so an attorney or representative from that office should be involved.  

4.  Someone needs to approve a purge, at least initially, to ensure that you're not getting rid of anything subject to any sort of legal action.  This can be almost anything, but if you purge things before they're requested but after the legal retention, you save yourself some exposure.  If no one will agree to do this, then save yourself the headache of preparing the documents for purging because they won't be going anywhere.

System documents haven't gone through this for us yet, but I suspect we'll be holding onto some things forever, including the reports that confirm destruction of records so we can prove we did that, when we did it, and that it wasn't after someone asked for them.  But most things that end up as SYS doc types will probably be purged within the year they are produced, assuming the records manager agrees.

Michelle_Troxel
Elite Collaborator
Elite Collaborator

@Jeanne Flynn thanks for those points! We do have a documentation committee that would need to approve the purges. And yes, those reasons you cited are why we don't purge today. We blanketly said nothing would be purged but I do believe we have a retention policy especially for scanned paper documents.

thanks!