cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrading REST API

Ryan_Wakefield
World-Class Innovator
World-Class Innovator

So I went to go and upgrade my REST API, and I noticed something really interesting. When I installed the 21.1 version over my 20.3 version, it left all of the .json configuration files alone (which is fine). However, when I had issues and just wiped everything out and then started fresh, I noticed that a clean installation of the 21.1 version added multiple additional .json configuration files which weren't there when I installed the 21.1 over the 20.3 installation.

So are we supposed to be backing up the current API installation, then removing it, then installing the desired version? Or is this some sort of potential bug with the installer?

Thanks!

2 REPLIES 2

AdamShaneHyland
Employee
Employee

Hey @Ryan Wakefield ,

As you noted, newer versions of the API Server will have more configuration files.  These configuration files are used by the respective REST API's hosted by the API Server.  Each of them has different settings.

In general, it is always a good practice to backup configuration files prior to an upgrade.  There is no process during the upgrade that will store the configuration settings from the current configuration files prior to uninstalling it.  Therefore you'll have to either; 1) perform the install and then reconfigure from the settings in the previous configuration files, OR 2) use the command line parameters to populate the settings (though note, the command line can't do all settings).  

Best wishes.

But that's the thing @Adam Shane , is that while it doesn't store the current configuration files details, it DOES keep the configuration files as they were before. So in other words, it doesn't wipe out the 0_logging.json file, it just leaves it in place. And because of this behavior, it then in turn doesn't place the new/missing configuration files.

Based upon your response, the installer is supposed to uninstall the previous version (which SHOULD wipe out the previous configuration file) and then install the new one. However, this isn't what happened with me and my upgrade. So that's why I am asking this question.

Thanks.