Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Parallel Upgrade - Distribution Services not sending out Emails

Troy_McKenna
Champ on-the-rise
Champ on-the-rise

Hi Everyone,

Hoping someone has dealt with this before. 

We have a Hosted solution that is currently being upgraded and is is a parallel solution state, i.e on EP3 and EP5 at the same time.

We have noticed that it is not an outright parallel upgrade, meaning they are not working independently. 

We notice that notifications being sent from OnBase are failing at times due to distribution services running on both instances of the  the Unity Scheduler (EP3 and EP5). We have been informed by Hyland, that the application server in which the notification arose from, needs to match the application server of the Unity Scheduler, otherwise the notification will fail. So we are in a position where notifications will succeed at times and fail at other times, dependent on which  of the distribution services fires off first.

Due to the size of the OnBase system, we are gradually wanting to move users over to the newer version, however this is causing a road block.

Has anyone experienced this before and have a solution to circumvent this? (Other than setting all the notifications to a timer, which dictates the application server).

Thanks in advance.

Kind regards

15 REPLIES 15

Mike_Shaffer
Champ in-the-making
Champ in-the-making

Have you gotten an answer to this, we are running into the same issue.

Joel_Moore2
Star Contributor
Star Contributor

Just went through this upgrading from EP5 to 22.1. The issue is with Formatted Notifications specifically, in that the Application Server that generates the Formatted Notification must have a Unity Scheduler Service with the same version sending it. If you need to IPUP between versions and want every email to be sent, your only realistic option is to only use Plain Text notifications. There's no way to configure Unity Scheduler Service to only send Formatted Notifications where the version matches, so you're always going to risk running into the problem. 

Kris_Conrads
Elite Collaborator
Elite Collaborator

I hope someone from Hyland chimes in on this.  What is Hyland's guidance on IPUP upgrades and formatted notifications?  I don't see anything in any of the upgrade documentation to warn people of this.

Joel_Moore2
Star Contributor
Star Contributor

I should have clarified - this behavior is a defect and not supposed to occur. I don't happen to remember the version(s) it was corrected.