cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unity Scheduler Outbound Email

John_Snow1
Champ on-the-rise
Champ on-the-rise

I am trying to build a notification into my workflow that sends an Email notification if a document has been in a queue for x amount of days. 

I have created the Rules/Tasks. 

I have created a unity scheduler task. 

But when I try to send a test notification nothing happens. I have been reading about "The Distribution Service" and am getting conflicting informationn about weather or not The Distribution Service is legacy technology that has been replaced by the Unity Scheduler. But in the Workflow MRG it states that workflow notifications need to go through the distribution service. Where can I check if this service is installed because the only information I can find in regards to installing a Distribution Service is for OnBase 14 and I am on EP1. 

1 ACCEPTED ANSWER

Cameron_Roberts
Confirmed Champ
Confirmed Champ

Hi John,

It is possible the Distribution Service is not configured properly. Can you please verify the information entered is correct specifically the email server settings.

Cameron

View answer in original post

15 REPLIES 15

Paul_Lloyd
Employee
Employee

Prior to OnBase Foundation EP1 the Distribution Service was a separate Windows Service. The Distribution Service Windows Service was responsible for executing Email Sending Tasks, including workflow notifications. In more recent releases, starting with OnBase Foundation EP1,  the Email Sending Tasks, previously executed by the Distribution Service, are executed by the Unity Scheduler. Further details may be found in this post:

https://community.hyland.com/forum/threads/72942-is-distribution-service-supported-in-onbase-19-foun...

You may also find this post helpful; it's a more general discussion of using workflow timers to send notifications:

https://community.hyland.com/forum/threads/75186-sending-email-task-unity-schedule

John_Snow1
Champ on-the-rise
Champ on-the-rise

Yea I have been in that MRG as well and when I get to the section about Email Sending Tasks they Reference the Distribution Service in the first line. 

deaf5232928c41dfae8fee3115b8f1ec

In the Unity Scheduler MRG the highlighted phrase's meaning is unclear, I believe, because the word  Service's meaning is ambiguous. It is meant to refer to the Distribution Service Product, whose Tasks are now implemented by the Unity Scheduler. It's not referring  to a specific Windows Service that previously implemented the Distribution Service Product's Tasks.

That first sentence appears to have been copied almost verbatim from the Hyland Distribution Service MRG. It's clearer in that context that Service is referring to the Product:

a902806282c24093a19ba7d41c8bab4d

I think my issue may be deeper seeded than the unity Scheduler. When I press the "Generate Test" button in the notification tab of Studio and try to manually send myself a notification, nothing happens.