cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Thick Client and Config asking for Administrator Password

Stephen_Beck
Star Contributor
Star Contributor

We are trying to install the Thick Client and Config on a workstation.  The installation works fine and the ODBC data source has been configured.  However, when either the Thick Client or Config is opened, a dialogue box opens asking for an "Administrator Password". If we click "Proceed" without entering something, access is denied. I suspect this has something to do with the SQL database but am not sure.

Steve Beck

6 REPLIES 6

Garrett_Weber
Star Collaborator
Star Collaborator

After installing the client did you place the Autologin switch on the icon?

-AL needs to be on the shortcut otherwise it will always prompt looking for username and password.

Thomas_Stratton
Confirmed Champ
Confirmed Champ

I experienced what sounds like a similar issue.  In my case I believe the SQL account credentials configured in the ODBC datasource did not have access to a table that was needed when initially setting up the workstation - it needs to write an entry to a table to register the workstation in OnBase.

I configured the ODBC connection temporarily to use an account with full access to the Hyland database and launched the client / config on the workstation. 

After successfuly launching once for the workstation, you should be able to reconfigure the ODBC connection to use the previous account - this access is only needed one time.

There might also specific database table / procedure rights you could assign to the account to prevent this problem in the future.  I don't have a lot of thick clients deployed and didn't have time to track down the specific access needed.

Justin_Fandl
Content Contributor
Content Contributor

To clarify, the account specified in the ODBC connection does nothing more than simply provide a way to login when the "Test Connection" function is used. This is not the actual account being used by the datasource to login to the database. In regards to the original issue, I believe the reason you are being prompted is that the HSI account is not correctly configured at the Database level and is unable to create the necessary workstation login.  To resolve the issue you should have two options:

• Give the HSI user the securityadmin and dbowner role manually in SQL Management Studio to the OnBase database via the following steps:
    • Set securityadmin on the server level by setting > Security > Logins > right-click 'hsi '> Properties > Server Roles>Select "securityadmin"  

OR

• Run the recreateDBusers utility against the OnBase database which should give the HSI user the correct permissions.

Hope this helps!

Thomas_Stratton
Confirmed Champ
Confirmed Champ

Now that you say it I think I do remember that I had to put in database admin credentials in the dialogue after starting the client, not in the ODBC connection itself.

This was after our database was moved from one server to another, so it all makes perfect sense now... I need to run the recreateDBusers utility.

Thanks!