cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Storing new unity form as a revision to existing document that wasn't a unity form...

Kyle_Larson3
Confirmed Champ
Confirmed Champ

Anyone create a new unity form revision on an existing document that wasn't a unity form? I suspect the error I am getting is because the newly revised document don't know about the unity form template and I am struggling on how to pass that template property into the new revision. I assumed the pagadata contained that information....
Error:  "Failed to locate form instance for 0(4812556). Invalid search criteria or form instance does not exist."

1 ACCEPTED ANSWER

David_Deran
Confirmed Champ
Confirmed Champ

Hi Kyle,

We looked into this problem and were able to recreate the behavior you are seeing.  The Unity Client does not allow you to store a Unity Form as a revision of an existing document that is not a Unity Form.  The Unity API is made to mimic the behavior of the Unity Client so this is technically not supported. The Document Type would need to be pre-configured for Unity Forms since we expect Unity Form revisions to already know about an existing template, which is not the case here. We are going to be looking into blocking this from happening in the API to mitigate this. If you need to associate a document with a Unity Form, you can set up a cross reference with a new Unity Form.

View answer in original post

2 REPLIES 2

David_Deran
Confirmed Champ
Confirmed Champ

Hi Kyle,

We looked into this problem and were able to recreate the behavior you are seeing.  The Unity Client does not allow you to store a Unity Form as a revision of an existing document that is not a Unity Form.  The Unity API is made to mimic the behavior of the Unity Client so this is technically not supported. The Document Type would need to be pre-configured for Unity Forms since we expect Unity Form revisions to already know about an existing template, which is not the case here. We are going to be looking into blocking this from happening in the API to mitigate this. If you need to associate a document with a Unity Form, you can set up a cross reference with a new Unity Form.

Yes...I think I was able to troubleshoot and the whole reason it can't, it can't find a template ID for unity form in which to present the new revision if that template ID association had never existed previously.

If you start with your unity form --> Revision/Rendition it to PDF (via API) --> Revision/Rendition back (via API) to same unity form with the template ID from the originating unity form, it works like a champ.

I tried, but the API doesn't have a method where I can pass in the template ID as a property when storing new revision; I believe this would solve the problem. I suspect, but haven't investigated further that there is a table some where that tie DocID to TemplateID.