cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow Client Launch

Eric_Banks1
Champ in-the-making
Champ in-the-making

When our users go to launch the Thick Client it can take anywhere between 30 seconds and a minute after double clicking the OnBase Client icon before the Logon Status Window appears and client loads. Is this a normal timing or is there something I can check to make the load response time faster?

19 REPLIES 19

Wendy_Robinson2
Champ in-the-making
Champ in-the-making

In response to Steve Shriver's post, we encountered the same issue after upgrading and implementing a new server of a delay when logging into the Thick Client and was seeing the progress bar at 90% and the messages in verbose were...

******** Section: Loading User Preferences  **************** Section: Initializing the DDE  **************** Section: Initializing Mail  ********

We were not using NT auth. 

We used Windows Process Monitor to identify that the OnBase Help Files were still looking in the old location on the old server.

We went into OnBase Config | Users | Global Client Settings | Misc tab and updated the Help Files location to the new location.

There was no longer a delay for all users when logging in.

AdamShaneHyland
Employee
Employee

Hi Chris,

My apologies for not getting back soon.  I'm sure that you already figured out this issue, but I wanted to follow up for anyone else reading this post.  Your verbose logs points directly to Active Directory causing the delay.   Here was see that there is a 46 sec gap between OnBase finding the user group and it's attempt to bind (validate) the 'Tesch,Christopher M' user to the 'G-OnBase HIM Scan-Index' user group.  Within the OnBase application is would be hard to determine why the delay is occurring.  Further troubleshooting would be necessary to determine the delay.

If you (or anyone else in the Community) is having this issue, I would recommend working if your first line of support.

Take care.

Joe_Pineda
Star Collaborator
Star Collaborator

Just for curiosity, I'd be interested in knowing if when OnBase finds that a user is not a member of an AD group there is some sort of timeout or number of retries in the OnBase code before it moves to the next binding....

AdamShaneHyland
Employee
Employee

Hi Jose,

I can only assume that in this particular case the wait is not because OnBase found the user is not a member of an AD group, but instead is not able to find this information and is waiting for AD to return the information to the application.  Typically the request is very fast, but there are cases where the request can take longer in which we would have to directly look at what part of the process is taking longer than expected and troubleshoot it accordingly. 

OnBase do not currently retry bindings.  If it fails, it fails and the process is managed accordingly (ie failure to bind to a user would cause a login failure, however a failure to bind to a user group would only mean that the user group membership is not granted and depending on the number of additional user groups the user belongs to may not have any affect on the login process).

Take care.

Thanks Adam!