Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Security Keywords Functionality and Help

Marnie_Mitchell
Confirmed Champ
Confirmed Champ

Hello

I have an HR solution in OnBase with 6 document types and 1 user group with access. That user group has 6 people in it. The scenario has arisen where I need to limit access to documents to only 2 individuals in that user group based to limit viewing access of our executive's files. I've been playing around with Security Keywords but can't get it to work they way I want and so I'm reaching out.

Here is an example:

1 of the users in the user group with access is named Jennifer Smith. Jennifer needs to see all documents - those for our President (John James) and every other employee as well

Another user in the user group (Alice White) shouldn't see John James documents but can have access to all other employees

I have a Keyword for Employee Name and it's a static list of 5 executives where I need to limit access so I was thinking I use that as my Security Keyword and I can limit access to John James documents based on that but now the problem I'm having is users can't see the "all other employees"

Any help is appreciated - Thanks

Marnie

7 REPLIES 7

Kevin_Hughes
Confirmed Champ
Confirmed Champ

In reviewing your scenario you can use Security Keywords to effectively solve your problem.

I would recommend the following for your scenario:

If not already completed, create a Keyword as the Security Keyword. [In my example I am labeling it HR View Access]

You can create a dataset for the Keyword to make sure they only index the values that are set as the Security Keyword Values [In my example: EMP and EMPEXEC (Be sure to check the keyword must exist option to make sure they are not able to freeform other values)

For the existing User Group that all current HR Employees are a member of [HR Employee Access] set the Security Keyword | HR View Access     EQUAL to    EMP

934096988d29459a8927ce6f9300793a

For the Group that requires access to Executive HR Documents if not already existing create a User Group

[HR Exec Access] add the Users needing access and set the Security Keyword | HR View Access     EQUAL to    EMP*

After the EMP there is an Asterisk(*) this will allow users in this group to see all Document Types were the HR View Access KW is equal to EMP and/or EMPEXEC.
5bf22d62ddb24417bd6b329ec847ecf5

Please remember that anytime you use an Asterisk(*) it may impact performance of your client, in your unique circumstance I do not think performance to be an issue.  If others are reading this, be sure to test your solution prior to determine if using an  Asterisk(*) impacts your solutions performance.

Based on the number of Users that require access to Executives Document Types you can also update the Security Keyword of the Individual User with the Security Keyword | HR View Access     EQUAL to    EMP* 

No additional User Groups would be needed.

I recommend setting the default value for the Security Keyword  you select for the Document Types to the most common value you would index, in my example: EMP this way you only need to update when setting other values.
f789bc8684cc45d499cb8e54c6078324

Hope this helps.

Kevin

Marnie_Mitchell
Confirmed Champ
Confirmed Champ

Hi Kevin

Working through this and turns out I need 3 different Keyword Values for 3 different access levels. Can you offer a suggestion for that scenario:

Keywords: EMP, EMPHR, EMPEXEC

User 1 can see EMP only

User 2 can see EMP and EMPHR

User 3 can see all

Thanks

Marnie

Kevin_Hughes
Confirmed Champ
Confirmed Champ

The simplest solution would be for User 3 to have their Security Keyword set to: 

*EMP*   [asteriskEMPasterisk]

This will allow them to see any document where the security keyword value has EMP regardless of position.

or this user account or user group has no security keyword set for your security keyword.

Marnie_Mitchell
Confirmed Champ
Confirmed Champ

How would I handle the User 2 scenario where they need EMP and EMPHR but can't see EMPEXEC?

Getting started

Find what you came for

We want to make your experience in Hyland Connect as valuable as possible, so we put together some helpful links.