cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Security Keywords Behavior

Adam_Heasman
Champ on-the-rise
Champ on-the-rise

We implemented a rule using security keywords for a user group where Keyword 'Restricted Access' does not equal 'Yes'.

However, from testing it is restricting access to documents where 'Restricted Access' does not equal 'Yes' AND where a value has not been set for this keyword.  To be clear if it is blank the access is still restricted even though that rule hasn't been specified.

so if i have three documents... 

1. restricted access = yes 

2. restricted access = no

3. restricted access = <blank/null>

and the rule 'Restricted Access' does not equal 'Yes'.

OnBase would restrict access to that user group to documents 1 and 3, when it should only restrict access to document 1.

Has anyone else experienced this odd behavior?

Thanks

Adam

3 REPLIES 3

Corinthia_Lill1
Star Collaborator
Star Collaborator

Do you have the "Perform security keyword checking during database query" database setting selected?  
(this option is in Config | Utils | Database Settings)
See top of page 721 in Sys Admin 1800 MRG for note about Not Equal security keywords.

Adam_Heasman
Champ on-the-rise
Champ on-the-rise

Thanks for your response Corinthia. Yes we have that option selected. I did notice in the admin guide:

"Documents with null values for a Not Equal Security Keyword Type are
returned for viewing unless the Perform security keyword checking during database
query Database Settings option is selected."

However I have not tested this.

After further consultation with Hyland it is advised that best practice is to avoid having nulls on security keywords. Therefore I'm currently in the process of updating the keyword in question to always have a value instead of it being null.

I did also note on page 639

this "For the Web Client and Core-based applications using Security Keyword Types, OnBase  ill always display only those documents that the user has rights to view based on the configured Security Keyword Types. OnBase will not display documents that don’t meet security requirements with the Restricted label, regardless of whether this setting is selected or not. Multiple Not Equal Security Keyword Types should not be used when this option is selected.

Note: When this option is selected, documents with null values for a Not Equal Security Keyword Type will not be displayed for viewing.

As we only use unity client i might explore this option more in the future, but for now we will update the null values to have a value instead.

I am having a conflict when using Security Kewords in conjunction with Keyword Restricted Access.   They seem to negate each other and produce zero results.   They work by themselves but not together.   

Getting started

Find what you came for

We want to make your experience in Hyland Connect as valuable as possible, so we put together some helpful links.