cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Running system tasks against a large number of docs

Robert_Cook2
Confirmed Champ
Confirmed Champ

I'm not sure exactly when the ability to run system tasks in the client was removed, we are upgrading to 24.1 from EP3, but since the Task Bar option is greyed out I assume it is gone for good. What, if anyone else has to do this, does everyone else do to run a task on a large number of documents, greater than the 10k threshold in the Unity Client?

11 REPLIES 11

Tiffany_Brooks
Champ in-the-making
Champ in-the-making

I just had this same issue, and contacted my first line of support and they told me to check that I had the Workflow license assigned to my workstation. I went into the Thick Client > Admin > User Management > Workstation Registration and discovered it was in fact missing, the Task Bar was no longer greyed out and I was able to activate it. I hope this helps.

Robert_Cook2
Confirmed Champ
Confirmed Champ

I wish that were the case but as of OnBase 23.1 the function was removed from the Thick Client.

From Mike Walkuski in another thread:

Bradley_Weingar
Star Contributor
Star Contributor

Robert, 

Any luck on finding a workable solution to this problem? 

The combination of not being able to run a TOP select statement in a custom query and not being able to run tasks from the Thick Client and not being able to retreieve more than 10k from the Unity Client is going drive me nuts.

Denis_Hands
Star Contributor
Star Contributor

@Bradley Weingartner Not sure if this would be helpful or not, I had a similar issue recently with a system we are currently in the process of parallel upgrading.

We tested a few things such as adding the documents to a folder and executing the system task - times out after 5 mins unless you change the timeout setting in web.config and add an extra line into obunity.exe.config file - haven't tried but I don't like System Tasks locking up my users machines, even cutting things up to smaller bunches timed out due to the work required - originally we thought this was due to legacy cardinality issue after migrating to SQL 2016+

What I did to resolve:

1. Create/Use an existing processing workflow
  2. Put a timer on the queue set at a regular interval
  3. Send items into the queue from the System/Adhoc Task - items can be batched in a folder or individual
  4. Let the system process them using the timer in the background eg Processing Server
  5. Spit the finished items out into a processed queue or exit straight away

Verified the results with our FLOS and they seem to believe that anything that takes time or heavy lifting should ideally be scheduled out using schedulers or workflow with timers so that the server (which should be beefier than the machines on the client side) can do the processing