cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Restrict Delete privilege

Alex_Gertsik
Confirmed Champ
Confirmed Champ

Is it possible to restrict Delete privilege to only allow deletion of the document that belongs to the author? We have an issue where some users accidentally delete documents that do not belong to them. Basically, we want the user to be able to delete documents only if it belongs to them.

Any advice would be appreciated.

1 ACCEPTED ANSWER

Nick_McElheny
Elite Collaborator
Elite Collaborator

Alex,

I'm not aware of a native way to accomplish this.  Override privileges allow you to restrict delete permissions on a document type, but not down to the author level.  Security keywords would let you get granular enough so that individuals can only see their own documents, but it sounds like in your case you want users to be able to see other folks' documents, just not delete them.  As a workaround, if you own Workflow, you could revoke standard delete permissions on the document type and create a workflow system task for deletion.  The system task would check if the current user is the author, and if so proceed with the delete, otherwise it could display a message box letting them know that they can't delete another users document.  System Tasks show up outside of the workflow interface and so it wouldn't matter if these documents are actually part of a workflow, as long as their document type was assigned to the system task.  Outside of workflow functionality, I can't think of a clean way to accomplish this.

Thanks,

Nick McElheny

Farm Credit Mid-America 

View answer in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Nick_McElheny
Elite Collaborator
Elite Collaborator

Alex,

I'm not aware of a native way to accomplish this.  Override privileges allow you to restrict delete permissions on a document type, but not down to the author level.  Security keywords would let you get granular enough so that individuals can only see their own documents, but it sounds like in your case you want users to be able to see other folks' documents, just not delete them.  As a workaround, if you own Workflow, you could revoke standard delete permissions on the document type and create a workflow system task for deletion.  The system task would check if the current user is the author, and if so proceed with the delete, otherwise it could display a message box letting them know that they can't delete another users document.  System Tasks show up outside of the workflow interface and so it wouldn't matter if these documents are actually part of a workflow, as long as their document type was assigned to the system task.  Outside of workflow functionality, I can't think of a clean way to accomplish this.

Thanks,

Nick McElheny

Farm Credit Mid-America 

I like and recommend the Workflow System task solution suggested here.

Alex_Gertsik
Confirmed Champ
Confirmed Champ

Thank you Nick and Eric for your prompt response. We do have WF so I will look into this option.