cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Reset all server cache without resetting IIS?

Josh_Belmonte
Champ on-the-rise
Champ on-the-rise

Is there a way to schedule a reset of server cache (the function available inside OnBase Studio) so that it automatically resets after a period of time?

We have multiple repositories apparently based on "Case" of our odbc connections. "ObServer", "OBSERVER", and "observer" are all present in our environment. Apparently each of these has it's own cache session on the webapp server. I would like to reset all three as frequently as every night to keep things moving smoothly. Is there a way to do that or do I have to open up Studio to access this functionality?

1 ACCEPTED ANSWER

Ansley_Ingram
Elite Collaborator
Elite Collaborator

Hi Josh,

I'd recommend what Robbie mentioned, schedule a nightly reset of your Application Pools and any services. This will ensure your changes are picked up by the AppServer and all clients. When you do a reset of the cache, it a "day forward" change - so any existing session will still have the old configuration data, and new sessions will have the new data. This can be useful for some changes - especially minor ones in the middle of the business day, but if your changes need to be seen by all users and processes, the IIS method is preferred. 

Also, your mention of the cache being case-sensitive struck me as an oddity. I looked into this with Development and while the actual AppServer's cache is not case-sensitive based on the ODBC name, there is an issue with the Application Domains for Unity Scripts (essentially a separate cache) being case-sensitive. This is being addressed by SCR 230428 and is slated for inclusion in the release of OnBase 16.

Hope that helps.

Ansley

View answer in original post

2 REPLIES 2

Not applicable
I'm not sure of anyway to schedule a reset of server cache, however you can schedule a recycle of your application pool(s) within IIS Manager on a nightly basis. However, you would also need to restart any core-based services running after the recycle, since they would lose connection.

This is the method we have implemented for picking up changes to core-based services.

Robbie

Ansley_Ingram
Elite Collaborator
Elite Collaborator

Hi Josh,

I'd recommend what Robbie mentioned, schedule a nightly reset of your Application Pools and any services. This will ensure your changes are picked up by the AppServer and all clients. When you do a reset of the cache, it a "day forward" change - so any existing session will still have the old configuration data, and new sessions will have the new data. This can be useful for some changes - especially minor ones in the middle of the business day, but if your changes need to be seen by all users and processes, the IIS method is preferred. 

Also, your mention of the cache being case-sensitive struck me as an oddity. I looked into this with Development and while the actual AppServer's cache is not case-sensitive based on the ODBC name, there is an issue with the Application Domains for Unity Scripts (essentially a separate cache) being case-sensitive. This is being addressed by SCR 230428 and is slated for inclusion in the release of OnBase 16.

Hope that helps.

Ansley