cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Replace part of a Keyword Value

Sheila_Shaver
Star Contributor
Star Contributor

How can I replace PART of a keyword value?  I have a keyword "Description".  This is a free-form field for data to be entered with about 80,000 distinct values.  I have a list of words that my Admins would like to modify, but they are only parts of this keyword string.  Example would be "Shoemaker and Haaland" needs to be replaced with "Shoemaker & Haaland" --- but it is not the entire value of this keyword, so I can't do a keyword replace.  How can I do this data cleanup to replace part of my keyword value globally?

Thank you,

Sheila

5 REPLIES 5

Matt_Fry
Star Contributor
Star Contributor

Mike_Schaefer
Star Contributor
Star Contributor

Sheila,

There are two main options, depending on exactly what needs you have:

1) Replace Keyword - In your example, Replace Keyword would work to replace that value (with the Old Keyword value being "Shoemaker and Haaland" and the New Keyword value being "Shoemaker & Haaland"). This could also be accomplished with Properties so that the admin, at execution time, could decide what values to search for and what to replace. The downside with this is it will only replace total values (so you can't, say, replace "and" with "&" within keywords). That being me to option #2...

2) Set Property to Expression - This action allows the administrator to generate a Regular Expression to evaluate and to set values. In this case, you could use the Replace() function to target specific values and replace them with something else. Since you can use Properties within the expression, you could even display a helpful form to the end-user admin that will be executing the task to determine exactly what to replace, and with what.

Obviously this situation should be handled with extreme care, but using the above actions I'm sure you will be able to come up with something to perform the task! If you have any questions or comments, please let me know!

John_Anderson4
Star Collaborator
Star Collaborator

You're not allowed to make direct updates to the OnBase database, so what ab-mfry posted is against your database use agreement. Michael's option #2 is what I would try, using expressions.

Mike_Walkuski
Employee
Employee

Hi Sheila,

Thank you for posting on the OnBase Community.

Keyword Updater would be very helpful in this case. You can configure it to search for a keyword or part of it and when found replace it with another value without having to send the documents through Workflow.

For instance you could search for "*Shoemaker*" and replace it with "Shoemaker & Haaland" this will change any keyword with a value of 'Shoemaker' to the desired value.

If you would like to utilize Keyword Updater please send a request to your FLOS with a detailed business need and they can handle this for you.

Also please do not perform any direct database updates as this is a violation of your service agreement and could cause major issues.