cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Refactoring OnBase Solutions

Eric_Beavers
Employee
Employee

I had a fun conversation with a System Admin earlier in the week. This admin came from a strict software development background. They shared with me a frustration that OnBase Solutions are not Refactorable. I don't think I have ever heard a Sys Admin use this term or heard this perspective before.

TLDR: restructure (the source code of an application or piece of software) so as to improve operation without altering functionality.
"developers might be asked to review the architecture and, where possible, refactor code to create smaller and more manageable components"

I found the conversation interesting. I feel like parts of OnBase can definitely be refactored. Maybe I am using the context incorrectly here. For example, I have "redesigned"(my vision of refactoring) workflows with different logic to do the same process with less rules and actions (especially when Set Property to Expression was introduced). Other places, I know changes are challenging if not impossible. Shoutout to all my Sys Admins with lots of ZZZ AFKS  and zzzz MIKGs : )

What do you think? Have you ever "refactored" your OnBase Solution?

7 REPLIES 7

Francois_Gast
Star Collaborator
Star Collaborator

The biggest problem I see with achieving refactoring in an onbase solution is the lack of revision management for Workview objects, filters, workflows, system actions etc. So if I work at improving something and really screw it up I can't roll back. We need enterprise revision management like git. This would be an important step into making it much easier to refactor solutions without fear of breaking everything.

It is especially true with WorkView life cycles. Logic tends to be more extensive and even though you can technically build a new LC to keep your previous configuration, it can be a daunting task with some configurations. 

Eric_R__Patalin
Elite Collaborator
Elite Collaborator

The biggest problem I see with achieving refactoring in an onbase solution is the lack of revision management for Workview objects, filters, workflows, system actions etc. So if I work at improving something and really screw it up I can't roll back. We need enterprise revision management like git. This would be an important step into making it much easier to refactor solutions without fear of breaking everything.

The original reply has been removed.

While this isn't "git", per se, I did want to put out there that in EP2 and EP3, we introduced Change Control tools in OnBase Studio.

https://community.hyland.com/technical/change-control

Details on it can be found in the System Administrator MRG:

https://community.hyland.com/technical/configuration

Darshan_T
Confirmed Champ
Confirmed Champ

Is WorkView supported in EP2 and EP3's change control? I don't see it listed in the SysAdmin MRG for EP3.