Champ on-the-rise
Champ on-the-rise

Thank you so much Joe. I truly appreciate this information. 🙂

3 REPLIES 3

Nick_McElheny
Elite Collaborator
Elite Collaborator

Tejaswini,

In our environment, we do a scheduled recycle of our OnBase application pools on a nightly basis (we also do this with most of our home grown and third party applications).  In my experience, app pool recycles are generally sufficient and we typically prefer this option over a full iis reset.  The cons of a scheduled app pool recycle (or iis reset) are that there will be a brief outage (we schedule ours for 3:00AM so that it is very minimal impact for us - but depending on your business this may or may not be an issue), you may see some errors in Diagnostics from lost sessions and users may see errors and some slowness in the morning if they left their machines overnight with OnBase open (ex: Unity client prompting to reconnect to the application server).  There's also been some defects like the one described here.    

There's several pros to performing a scheduled recycle:

• Not all configuration changes take effect after a cache reset (some require a recycle).  Doing a reset ensures that everyone is seeing the latest changes/configuration
    • Recycling helps clear up stuck sessions / licenses.  Older versions of OnBase had issues with licenses getting stuck, this has gotten a lot better in newer versions, but we still see it from time to time and recycling helps clear them out
    • Like most things Microsoft, recycling from time to time can help ensure memory issues, etc. don't crop up in your environment.  In addition to our nightly recycle, we do a monthly reboot of all of our application servers as part of patching

Nick McElheny

Farm Credit Mid-America

Appreciate your response and thank you providing the details, Nick!!

I agree with everything Nick said.

We don't do nightly app pool recycles, but frequently debate it.

In my mind, the biggest con (for each individual customer, but also for all Hyland customers) is that you become less aware or entirely unaware of problems that are "fixed" by that recycle- which gives you a different risk, and means that you (and Hyland) aren't getting feedback about real problems that should be fixed instead of worked around.

Getting started

Find what you came for

We want to make your experience in Hyland Connect as valuable as possible, so we put together some helpful links.