cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problems creating OLE Viewer

Josh_Belmonte
Champ on-the-rise
Champ on-the-rise

We seem to get this error a lot when users are accessing MS Word Documents in the thick client. It fixes itself when the user restarts their computer. Is there a more permanent fix other than restarting their computer? Some of our users get it more frequently than others... like every single day.

9 REPLIES 9

Florence_Jee
Champ in-the-making
Champ in-the-making

We have some users having the same issue as well. We've tried repairing Microsoft Office, uninstall and reinstall Onbase thick client, rebooted their machines many times, checked the compatibility mode as suggested in the technical knowledge base, made sure MS Word does not have any prompt up box, and nothing works. It puzzles me as this error comes suddenly and goes away itself after some time and comes back again after a period of time. Users have no problem accessing the files using Onbase Web Client. We used to have this problem in Onbase 10, but after upgrading to Onbase12, this problem occurs more frequently...

Bruce_Jackson1
Confirmed Champ
Confirmed Champ
I have seen these sort of issues before but was resolved by installing the " Hyland Office Integration Dependencies". This may be worth trying to install it on a couple of computers and see if this comes back. Pretty quick install.

Tony_Maimone
Star Collaborator
Star Collaborator

Hi everyone,

As reported by Florence above, we generally see the 'Ole Viewer Information' message box when a user has Microsoft Word open outside of OnBase and Word is waiting on user interaction. This mostly happens due to a dialog box being open (ie. printing a document, save as dialog, etc.). Also, when Excel is currently in edit mode (user is editing a cell but has not moved the cursor out of the cell) will cause this issue when trying to open an .XLS or .XLSX document within the OnBase Client.

If you notice that this is not the root cause with your users, I would recommend contacting your first line of support. Your technical support representative will have a better opportunity to troubleshoot the exact issue that your users are having.

Thank you

Thank you to both Tony and Florence for their suggestions. For me, Word didn't appear to be open anywhere but there was an instance of WinWord.exe running in task manager. Killing that task resolved the issue.

Thank you both for taking the time to post this comment. It helped a stranger years later!

David_Hankes
Champ on-the-rise
Champ on-the-rise

We experienced this issue just this week, we are on Office 2013, OnBase 12 SP3.  After a couple Microsoft updates last week, I was stumped why a couple machines were having this problem.  They could not open previously opened document from within Agenda Management or Thick client which were accessed earlier in the week and month.

The above message kept telling them that the *doc file extension was no longer recognized.  I then tried to access the file(s) directly and was prompted with a new "File Block Settings" window across the top of the document, which was not present through the OnBase interfaces.  I reset in MSWord: Trust Center > File Block Settings > Open Behavior for Selected file types to "Open selected file types in Protected View" and all has worked fine since this setting change.