cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pre-load Document Type and Keywords to upload form

Brian_Gott
Star Contributor
Star Contributor

I was asked to look into whether or not this can be done through the API.
The client has requested a workflow task that will take the keywords and document type of the document they are currently on, and show them the upload screen with the document type and keywords already filled in. Currently, with a system task, they have to select the document type again.
I’m not really finding anything in the SDK. There’s information about archiving new documents, but not doing it interactively. The sample code has everything hard-coded in.
This client is on OnBase 15.

1 ACCEPTED ANSWER

Alex_French
Elite Collaborator
Elite Collaborator

As far as I know this is not possible.

(my information is also on v15, I can't think of any new features that I've read about in future versions that would help)

Related info:

-There are "Script Hooks" related to indexing, various types of Unity Scripts that can be triggered by events around indexing, keyword changes, etc..  Each one runs in a slightly different context (different time in the process, different input and output).  I don't think any of them will do quite what you need.  See "Unity API Script Hooks" in the SDK.

-We have a suite of complex E-forms that do a lot of client-side Javascript and AJAXy interaction with mutliple web services.  They include an AJAXy custom upload functionality talking to a custom web service.  You could build something similar *just* for this need.  I would be very surprised if the effort and complexity was a good value, but I'm happy to offer more info and pointers.

If anyone can suggest a configurable way to handle this, or not-insanely-complex option involving any kind of custom development, I will be psyched to know about it.

View answer in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Alex_French
Elite Collaborator
Elite Collaborator

As far as I know this is not possible.

(my information is also on v15, I can't think of any new features that I've read about in future versions that would help)

Related info:

-There are "Script Hooks" related to indexing, various types of Unity Scripts that can be triggered by events around indexing, keyword changes, etc..  Each one runs in a slightly different context (different time in the process, different input and output).  I don't think any of them will do quite what you need.  See "Unity API Script Hooks" in the SDK.

-We have a suite of complex E-forms that do a lot of client-side Javascript and AJAXy interaction with mutliple web services.  They include an AJAXy custom upload functionality talking to a custom web service.  You could build something similar *just* for this need.  I would be very surprised if the effort and complexity was a good value, but I'm happy to offer more info and pointers.

If anyone can suggest a configurable way to handle this, or not-insanely-complex option involving any kind of custom development, I will be psyched to know about it.

Nathan_Jones3
Star Collaborator
Star Collaborator

Lacking an API solution, you could still use the Import Document action with as many actions as document types you expect to use this with.  You would need a series of rules checking doctype and On True "Import Document" actions configured with a specific default document type.  It isn't exactly elegant and could be a pain to maintain, but I believe it provides the functionality you seek.  (A good enhancement request might be to add "Get doctype from property value" functionality to the Import Document action.)

Another approach is to set a generic "Change Me" doctype for the Import Document action, use "Fill Document Handle Keyword(s)", and then add a "Change Me" life cycle that processes the incoming "Change Me" document and re-indexes it with the attributes of the original (now related) document.

Brian_Gott
Star Contributor
Star Contributor
Thanks, Alex and Nate. I'll pass this information along.