cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oracle vs SQL

Deborah_Hack
Star Contributor
Star Contributor

(Currently upgrading from OnBase 13 to OnBase 14)

Our OnBase database is an Oracle db. When we upgrade the db it takes a really long time (something like 10 hours) even though we don't have a lot of data in there yet (compared to other companies). I"ve heard that upgrades are slower for Oracle than SQL. Is 10ish hours typical for Oracle? If not, any ideas what could make the process so slow? It has been slow every time we do an upgrade, not just this time.

On a related note, what are the pros and cons of the two platforms? Is OnBase more suited to SQL?

-Deborah

6 REPLIES 6

Ansley_Ingram
Elite Collaborator
Elite Collaborator

Hi Deborah,

As Adam mentioned, I would not expect the database portion of the upgrade from v13 to v14 to take 10 hours. While we do see that the upgrade can take longer on an Oracle platform than on a Microsoft SQL Server platform - due to differences in the way the data dictionary is constructed and accessed - even on our largest Oracle systems, we don't see anything as significantly long as what you are reporting. 

I would recommend reaching out to your first line of support, in addition to your DBA, so that we can assist with tracing and figuring out what portions of the upgrade are slow and look at finding a way to improve the performance. 

As for the pros and cons of the two platforms, OnBase is not more suited to one platform or the other. For typical solution performance we expect the software to behave optimally against all supported database platforms. The decision on which platform to use comes down to an organization's level of comfort and expertise with each RDBMS. If your solution is on an Oracle platform, you are most likely an "Oracle shop" that has expertise and many other systems running on an Oracle platform and you have DBAs with specialized knowledge in Oracle. 

Hope that helps!

Ansley

Deborah_Hack
Star Contributor
Star Contributor

Thanks to everyone for the great information and advice! We are working with our first line of support and will definitely be checking our database settings. (Thanks also to Hyland for publishing the new Database Guide that consolidates information that used to be spread over several documents.)

Wish me luck-

Deborah