Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

OnBase: GetPwd::

John_Esraelo
Champ in-the-making
Champ in-the-making

Hello team,

Does anyone know or has heard about this login / username  getpwd that tries connecting to the SQL server and of course there is a failure event firing up a raised error message as in below:

The following Login Failures event occurred:
ServerName:              BRGSQL
PostTime:                Nov  8 2012  4:32PM
DatabaseName:            master
NT UserName              
NT DomainName            
Host Name                
LoginName                getpwd

I have added the ApplicationName attribute to the event queue and will post that once it is fired up again.

Any information and suggestion will be appreciated.

thx

John Esraelo

10 REPLIES 10

Not applicable

Ansley (or anyone else who has an answer),

Ok, I'm going to play "stump the expert" here.  We're getting this 'getpwd' login error on our database box too, except ours is coming from servers that don't have Thick Client installed, so there is no onbase.ini file.  They have web services installed that make API calls to the database.  Any ideas on how to get these to stop when there's no onbase.ini to change settings on?

Thanks in advance,

Sydney

Ansley_Ingram
Elite Collaborator
Elite Collaborator

Hi Sydney,

Do you know which API the connection is using?

Ansley

Ansley_Ingram
Elite Collaborator
Elite Collaborator

Sydney,

For non-Thick Client access to the database, you can set a registry setting to prevent the 'GetPWD' messages. This option should be respected by the Core (both the old DMCoreX and the newer .NET Core).

The registry setting in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Hyland\RotatingPasswordSettings on the machine connecting directly to the database needs to have REG_DWORD for the datasource set to 2.  This setting will have OnBase use the standard login method therefore will not log the error message on first log in. 

If the API solution you are using is going through the Application Server, you'd want to configure this on the Application Server itself which is what actually connects to the database.

Ansley

Jim_Wysocki
Star Contributor
Star Contributor

Ashley,

We're also experiencing this issue (we're on Oracle, not SQL server).  I checked the registry setting on the app server that the failed login attempts are coming from and it is set to 2.  One other thing I noticed is there is an Informational entry in the Event Log at the same time.  The entry is: 

CreateObject (Namespace:Hyland.Core.MedicalRecords Object:Hyland.Core.MedicalRecords.CallbackHandler) threw an exception:
System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
at Hyland.Interop.ComDispatchProxy.CreateObject(String assemblyName, String typeName)

Any ideas?  It's not a huge issue as we're not being swamped with a lot of failed login attempts, but our DBA team wanted me to investigate.

Thanks,

Jim Wysocki

University of Michigan Health System

Ansley_Ingram
Elite Collaborator
Elite Collaborator

Hi Jim,

If the Hyland.Core.MedicalRecords message is showing at the same time as the GetPWD message, it's possible that there's a portion of the software that isn't respecting the registry setting. (It's also possible they're unrelated and that the timing just works out for them to be together based on the multitude of activity that occurs when a session is established.)

I'd recommend getting in touch with your first line of support to investigate this in more detail - especially surrounding which portions of the software are installed on this particular machine.

Hope that helps.

Ansley