Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

OnBase: GetPwd::

John_Esraelo
Champ in-the-making
Champ in-the-making

Hello team,

Does anyone know or has heard about this login / username  getpwd that tries connecting to the SQL server and of course there is a failure event firing up a raised error message as in below:

The following Login Failures event occurred:
ServerName:              BRGSQL
PostTime:                Nov  8 2012  4:32PM
DatabaseName:            master
NT UserName              
NT DomainName            
Host Name                
LoginName                getpwd

I have added the ApplicationName attribute to the event queue and will post that once it is fired up again.

Any information and suggestion will be appreciated.

thx

John Esraelo

10 REPLIES 10

Ansley_Ingram
Elite Collaborator
Elite Collaborator

Hi John,

The "getpwd" messages are the result of an attempted login by OnBase using Advanced Security Mode.  By design, OnBase checks for the getpwd user every time someone logs into the OnBase Client.  If the getpwd user doesn’t exist, then standard login is used and the error message is logged.  If you are not using the Rotating/Secure Password Utility and are seeing this message, you can prevent it by modifying the 'UseStandardLogin_DataSourceName' key in the onbase.ini file.  Setting this key to '1' will force OnBase to always use standard login mode instead of enhanced mode if the workstation already exists.  For example, if the data source name is OnBase, the key in the onbase32.ini file would be: UseStandardLogin_OnBase=1.  For the core you must set the following registry value to 2. 

HKLM | Software | Hyland | RotatingPasswordSettings | NameOfDataSource

Client | Admin | Utililities | EditINI file

UseStandardLogin_(Datasource)=1

Hope that helps,

Ansley

Ansley,

This is the most intuitive answer I have received yet. 

We use AD and non-AD accounts, would one or the other if not both fall into the Standard category? 

It sounds like, correct me if I am wrong, GetPwd user name is a catch all type account to connect to the sql server? 

I do not have any serious issue with this at this time, this account does not exist on the sql server therefore I can simply ignore it. 

It gets fired up several times a day and I was a bit concerned but I can put in rest in my mind.

Any additional advise will be grand and appreciated and you are great with your answer Ansley.

thx

JohnE

Ansley_Ingram
Elite Collaborator
Elite Collaborator

John,

Happy to help.

The Advanced Security option that uses the 'getpwd' account is a mechanism to manage the security of the SQL Server logins that OnBase uses for connectivity and to regularly change the passwords for those logins. Since the 'getpwd' account doesn't exist, it is safe to say that you aren't using thie mechanism - as it would create and maintain that account. (And you wouldn't be able to login if it didn't exist.)

If the frequency of the error message isn't intrusive then it is safe to ignore. If you'd like to supress it entirely, the INI and registry settings will change the software's behavior to not even try using it.

Ansley

John_Esraelo
Champ in-the-making
Champ in-the-making

Ansley,

Thank you again and definitely will try suppressing it, but, not an intrusive one at this point.

Hope to hear from you on my near future questions again.

Have a great weekend.

JohnE