cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

onbase and large audio and video files

Thomas_Reu
Elite Collaborator
Elite Collaborator

Does anyone have any experience with how OnBase handles really large audio or video files?  We have some clients thinking about meeting minutes that could be 2-2.5 hrs of audio and other clients thinking about video over the same time frame (basically a full length movie).  I'm sure we are talking about 5-10GB or more for 1 file.

1 ACCEPTED ANSWER

Thomas_Reu
Elite Collaborator
Elite Collaborator

Just to get current, does this limitation still apply in v15 as of today?

View answer in original post

29 REPLIES 29

Ansley_Ingram
Elite Collaborator
Elite Collaborator

Hi Tom,

As Sean Storch mentioned, OnBase is limited by the Windows I/O which will limit the size of files to 2GB. This is in addition to the limit imposed by the filesize column being an integer.

Beginning with version 13, newly created OnBase systems have the ability to store more than 2.14 billion documents which would also remove the limit on the filesize column in the database, however the Windows I/O limitation Sean mentioned would still be present.

Conversion of a pre-version 13 database to a 64-bit database, one capable of storing more than 2.14 billion documents, is not part of the standard upgrade path. More information on the process and requirements surrounding this can be obtained from your first line of support, however it isn't something that will address the size limitations you are experiencing.

Hope that helps.

Ansley

Thomas_Reu
Elite Collaborator
Elite Collaborator

Thanks Ansley, I'm not worried about the window IO since we are on a 64 bit version - 2008 sp 1 and the database is 2008 R2.  However, the fact that it is a different upgrade path means we'll just stay away from touching this - thanks.

Mike_Saville
Elite Collaborator
Elite Collaborator

You would still have the Windows I/O limitation Sean mentioned because OnBase is stil a 32bit application running on a 64bit OS.  So you still can't have files larger than 2GB.

Thomas_Reu
Elite Collaborator
Elite Collaborator

I understand this Mike.  It is just that all the posts up to now appear to blame Windows or the DB.  It needs to be clear - especially since non-technical people may be reading this thread.  The limitation isn't Windows or the DB, both have 64-bit capability - on a 2008+ environment.  The limitation is that OnBase is 32-bit and once OnBase becomes 64-bit then this issue should be resolved. 

Jeff_Stoner
Elite Collaborator
Elite Collaborator

Just to clarify, the limitation has nothing to do with OnBase being a 32-bit application. 32-bit Windows applications are capable of reading and writing files larger than 2GB using the proper Windows I/O methods. OnBase needs to be modified to use these methods.

Regards,
-jeff

Getting started

Find what you came for

We want to make your experience in Hyland Connect as valuable as possible, so we put together some helpful links.