cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Office Web Apps/WOPI server path warning in diagnostics console (V 18.0.149)

Kirk_Sumpter
Star Collaborator
Star Collaborator

We recently went live with 18.0.149 and we have one app server that serves our overall client base, and we have a separate one just for our team so we can reset it during the day if needed while doing large projects.

On our new production server, at a minimum when anyone opens any kind of image file (jpg/tiff, etc) we get the following warning:

"Office Web Apps/Office Online Server Path or WOPI Server path has not been properly configured"

It may be happening under other situations, but right now that's the scenario I've been able to confirm.

Here's the odd thing...it's only happening on our 'public' app server...it doesn't happen on our test environment app server, nor our team's app server.

I've scoured the web.config file, and any settings I can find for WOPI or office web apps/office online are either set to false or commented out altogether, and I can't find a difference between the config files in the app servers that would cause this on one but not the others.

I've also found and verified the Microsoft Office Web Apps Settings in configuration under Utils, and the "Enable Microsoft Web Apps" is unchecked.

Anyone else ran into this or have a suggestion on what would be causing these errors?

1 ACCEPTED ANSWER

Kirk_Sumpter
Star Collaborator
Star Collaborator

For anyone following this (since I hate when topics just kind of die with no resolution)...the error literally just went away over a weekend.  Other than the typical nightly app server resets nothing changed in our environment.

We're just monitoring to see if it comes back, but at this point it's "resolved".

View answer in original post

14 REPLIES 14

Sara_Berry
Confirmed Champ
Confirmed Champ

Its possible that there is an odd hidden character somewhere in the config file of the non working app pool. Personally I would copy the config file of a working app server and replace it on the non working app pool. Just make sure the decrypt it first if needed. Sometimes its better to find a working solution than to figure out what exactly went wrong with one config file. 

Ryan_Wakefield
World-Class Innovator
World-Class Innovator

A piece that could seriously help you out is by using the compare function inside of Notepad++. You can find all of the details HERE. By comparing your two web.config files, you will see what is different between the two. Granted you will always see the normal differences regarding things like URL's and such, but hopefully this helps in identifying something. 🙂

thanks Ryan, they are identical (save for the usual server specific values).

And if you enjoy that, the next step to escalate to when needed is WinMerge, which make it easy to do lots of compares simultaneously in different tabs, to compare whole directory trees, to compare non-text files, and a lot more power.