Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need Help with Formatted Email Notifications

jeffrey_slavik
Star Contributor
Star Contributor

Hello!

Hoping I can get some guidance here.  The following is an outline of what I'm trying to do:

We have an audit workflow queue.  For each invoice that enters the queue, the user clicks on an ad hoc task button that displays a unity form where the user answers a series of questions.  User submits unity form.

1.  For any of the questions that = No, I am using the 'Set Property to Expression' and setting the expression to a particular statement.  If the first question=No, the expression is simply "statement 1 text here".

2. For any subsequent questions that=No, I use the 'Does Property Exist' rule and check to see if a property has been set.

- on true, I use the 'Set Property to Expression' action and reference the original property name.  I then use the following expression 'append(%VpropRejectInvoice; newLine + "new text here.")

- on false, I set expression to "statement 1 text here".

I am using this logic for all questions.  What I am then trying to do is in a Formatted Email notification, place the single %Vpropertyname into the notification and have any text show with line breaks.  

I am wondering if I am going about this the right way.  I've gotten some help from some other OnBase admins, but can't seem to get it to work.  I've tried plain text and formatted emails without any success.  Any help would be appreciated as expressions are admittedly not my strong point.  Thanks in advance.

Jeff

14 REPLIES 14

Eric_Beavers
Employee
Employee

I've found newline works well for StickyNotes and Formatted Text fields(workView). It also shows in the testing interface.

3cfc457f7d884dbfb64cc4b4ed71b3c5

I don't usually use append() and tend to build my email message out by adding the same property to itself.

f7388881008f4c808d08fe8060a6e314

In other cases, such as email, I have had to either treat it as HTML using the <br/> tag

propNewLine =

<br/>

or store a literal carriage return/line feed in a property by using double quotes

propNewLine = 

""

Hi Eric,

Ok, I tried these suggestions, but no luck.  I'm now trying this with plain text emails.  

Here's an update of how I'm trying to do this using your suggestions:

1. user completes unity form with y/n questions and submits

2. set action to create propNewLine and I've set the expression to the double quotes as you illustrated

3. task list runs and answer data is captured into kw

4. if the first question=no, I am creating the following property propRejectInvoice

5. For every other question after this, I have a rule to check if property propRejectInvoice exists

6.  If the property does exist, I am now setting propRejectInvoice to the following:

%VpropRejectInvoice+
                          %VpropNewLine+
                          "You've submitted a Credit Memo but ..."

7. If the property does not exist (meaning question 2 is the first that=no, I am setting property to expression for the same property, propRejectInvoice with the expression:

"You've submitted a Credit Memo but..."

With this setup, I still can't get a line break.  I tried it with the <br/> as well with no success.  Crazy!  Has to be something I'm missing here.  Thanks!

Jeff

If you are trying to use html in plain text workflow emails, make sure to include other required code otherwise the browser used to render the email will ignore <br>.  Example: (the properties would be placed between the Body tags.

49f0757403d04b9aa629cde1aea1422b

jeffrey_slavik
Star Contributor
Star Contributor

Hey Eric, thank you for the feedback!  I will give some of these suggestions a try and will let you know how it goes.

Jeff