Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Load Runner interaction with ActiveX

Paul_Timoney
Champ on-the-rise
Champ on-the-rise

Hi,

Running Load Runner v12.53 and trying to capture a script for testing ActiveX component in Nautilus v13.  I've read https://www.onbase.com/community/technical_communities/performance_and_scalability/m/performance_and... and it mentions that certain components cannot be load tested and ActiveX is listed.  Is this the case and are there any alternatives or workarounds for this?

Thanks for your assistance,

Paul

1 ACCEPTED ANSWER

Greg_Seaton
Star Contributor
Star Contributor

Hi Paul,

The limitations for load testing the ActiveX Web Client is for versions 14 and higher. My apologies on that confusion. It will be clarified in future versions of that document.

You should be able to create a load test for versions 13 and earlier. In those versions, the ActiveX controls will communication with XML (Service.asmx). If you read the Unity Client section of that document, it will show some examples of load testing with that type of traffic.

Thanks,
Greg

View answer in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Greg_Seaton
Star Contributor
Star Contributor

Hi Paul,

The limitations for load testing the ActiveX Web Client is for versions 14 and higher. My apologies on that confusion. It will be clarified in future versions of that document.

You should be able to create a load test for versions 13 and earlier. In those versions, the ActiveX controls will communication with XML (Service.asmx). If you read the Unity Client section of that document, it will show some examples of load testing with that type of traffic.

Thanks,
Greg

Thanks very much Greg for your prompt response.

It's Utilising the capture capabilities from Loadr unner and it's at the point when activeX loads that it hangs. is there a setting in load runner to enable the plugin ? Thanks,
Paul

Paul,

I don't use the recording functionality as it needs too many manual modifications to get working correctly. Performing a quick test with the recorder, it loaded the ActiveX controls and captured the traffic for me.

Instead of using the record functionality, I use a tool like Fiddler to capture the HTTP traffic and build a test from that. LoadRunner also has the ability to generate a VuGen script from a saved Fiddler session. That should give you results similar to a recording. You still have to make manual modifications to handle all the dynamic data though.
Getting started

Find what you came for

We want to make your experience in Hyland Connect as valuable as possible, so we put together some helpful links.