cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Keyword configuration on multiple document types

Jonna_Pantelis
Star Contributor
Star Contributor

Scenario: I have multiple document type group that have 100+ document types them that I need to add a new keyword to. That new keyword needs to be moved to a specific order in the keyword list for each document type in each document type group. That new keyword needs to be set at "required" on all the document types in each document type group.

Currently: I can easily add the keyword to all my document types (YAY!) from the keyword settings! But, now I have to click each and every document type to move that keyword to the specific location in the keyword list (4th from the top) and go into the options on each document type to set the keyword as required. That is A LOT of clicks and very time consuming for the number of document types this 1 keyword has to be applied to.

Sure, I could use the custom keyword panel, however that only is applicable when users are batch processing. I need the keyword order to be consistent across the board.

So, what are other OnBase Admin's answer to this? Am I missing some shortcut to make this easier on myself?

Dream Scenario: Allow us to create Document Type Group Keyword Templates (like the custom keyword panel in patch processing) for each document type group. The template could allow us to assign keywords, keyword order, keyword options, auto-name string, etc, as default to update all current document types or apply to any new document types. So then, when I create a new keyword, I add it to the template, place it in the correct keyword order in my keyword list, apply the option of "required" and then do "Apply to all document types in this document type group" and Ba-da-bing-ba-da-boom I've just saved myself 16 hours of really tedious work!

So, I know applying this in Configuration would mean a whole re-write of Configuration, so is this something that could be created in Studio, like custom capture processes? 

Just throwing this out there....  I mean it is Christmas, so this would be a great GIFT to Admins everyone 🙂

1 ACCEPTED ANSWER

Bryan_Hurless
Star Contributor
Star Contributor

Hello Jonna and thank you for using the OnBase Community!

It sounds like you should think about using Keyword Type Groups day forward.  As of OnBase 16 Service Pack 1 you can re-order Keywords within Keyword Type Groups.  Once re-ordered this order will automatically be applied to any Document Types or Folders that the altered Keyword Type Group is assigned to.  This is possible for both Multi Instance Keyword Groups (MIKG) or Single Instance Keyword Groups (SIKG).

With Keyword Type Groups you can configure groups of Keywords and assign those groups to Document Types and Folders with one click.  You would still have to configure Keyword Options, Default Values and Auto-Name strings on a per Document/Folder basis.  However the order of the Keyword Type Groups will be automatically applied to a Document Type.  This would greatly cut down time it takes to add individual Keywords one at a time to Document Types.  If a Keyword has to be added to a Keyword Type Group it can easily be done with one click and automatically applied to all Document Types that the Group is assigned to. 

The only caveat to using Keyword Type Groups is Keyword Type Groups cannot be deleted, and Keywords cannot be removed from a Keyword Type Group once assigned. 

For more information regarding Keyword Type Groups please take a look at the System Administrator Module Reference Guide.

I hope this helps!

Thanks again for using the OnBase Community!

View answer in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Bryan_Hurless
Star Contributor
Star Contributor

Hello Jonna and thank you for using the OnBase Community!

It sounds like you should think about using Keyword Type Groups day forward.  As of OnBase 16 Service Pack 1 you can re-order Keywords within Keyword Type Groups.  Once re-ordered this order will automatically be applied to any Document Types or Folders that the altered Keyword Type Group is assigned to.  This is possible for both Multi Instance Keyword Groups (MIKG) or Single Instance Keyword Groups (SIKG).

With Keyword Type Groups you can configure groups of Keywords and assign those groups to Document Types and Folders with one click.  You would still have to configure Keyword Options, Default Values and Auto-Name strings on a per Document/Folder basis.  However the order of the Keyword Type Groups will be automatically applied to a Document Type.  This would greatly cut down time it takes to add individual Keywords one at a time to Document Types.  If a Keyword has to be added to a Keyword Type Group it can easily be done with one click and automatically applied to all Document Types that the Group is assigned to. 

The only caveat to using Keyword Type Groups is Keyword Type Groups cannot be deleted, and Keywords cannot be removed from a Keyword Type Group once assigned. 

For more information regarding Keyword Type Groups please take a look at the System Administrator Module Reference Guide.

I hope this helps!

Thanks again for using the OnBase Community!

THANK YOU!

We are currently on OB16 SP1 so I will absolutely look into this! Although the issue of not being able to delete/remove a keyword from the group isn't ideal, this is absolutely a move in the right direction!

One addition question if you don't mind, after setting up a Keyword Type Group, can I add additional keywords to it later?

THANK YOU!

Yes, Keywords can be added to Keyword Type Groups. They cannot be removed once added though.

Thank you. My limitations with using this would be that I have at least 2 keywords that are multi-instance, and I wouldn't want to have all multi-instances of all the keywords.