Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Keyword Character Limit Increased

Andrea_Mena
Champ in-the-making
Champ in-the-making

Hi,

A keyword was increased in limit (doubled) during the day. Configuration froze and now we are unable to retrieve documents with that keyword as the system freezes. Any help or suggestions is greatly appreciated...

5 REPLIES 5

Anthony_Boyd
Star Collaborator
Star Collaborator

When you increase a keyword in length in config the indexes on that keyword table has to be rebuilt, if your config session froze and you killed the process then chances are the index did not get recreated correctly.  The system freeze during retrieval is probably the result of a full table scan at the database level.

Hope this helps

Anthony

Mike_Saville
Elite Collaborator
Elite Collaborator

Config is not locked up or frozen.  What is happening in the background is that the database server is expanding the size of the keyword and that can take a long time depending on the number of records in the database for that keyword.  Best advise at this point is to just let it finish.  In the future, only expand keyword size during non-production hours.

Not applicable

You might want to have your DBA check the database to see if the query to update the KW table(s) is still running.  Otherwise, you need to just wait until it finishes. 

John_Anderson4
Star Collaborator
Star Collaborator

My guess is the database indexes were not re-created on that keyword table. When you increase the length of a keyword, my understanding is that the process goes like this:

1. Existing indexes are dropped from the keyword table
  2. "keyvaluechar" column is increased in length
  3. Indexes are re-created

If config freezes/crashes after completing step 1 but before completing step 3, any queries against that table will be VERY slow, since there are no indexes. Since this operation affects database indexes, it's generally a good idea to do it off hours.

To fix it now, you may be able to go into config and reapply the keyword changes, or you'd have to run a database job to re-create the indexes on that table. I believe this is something a DBA should know how to do, and it is allowed by Hyland.

EDIT: This applies more if Config crashed. If it's "frozen" meaning it's probably still running step #2 or step #3 then you may need to wait until it's done.