cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there a maximum value for the transactionnum column in the transactionxlog table?

Rob_Augustinsky
Confirmed Champ
Confirmed Champ

When reviewing the hsi.transactionxlog table the transactionnum field is currently within 500 million of the 2.1 billion maximum and is incrementing at an alarming rate.  At the rate the value is incrementing, the maximum value for the transactionnum column will be reached before too long. 

How should this issue be addressed?

3 REPLIES 3

Rob_Augustinsky
Confirmed Champ
Confirmed Champ

The value of transactionnum is definitely something that should be monitored in every environment to verify it does not grow too large.  It is suggested that if the transactionxlog table does grow at an alarming rate, that the business process be reviewed to determine if what end users are doing is correct or if the process should be changed.  A plan to manage the hsi.transactionxlog table is something that should be implemented for the long term.

Currently the transactionnum column is configured as an Integer which has a maximum value of 2,147,483,647. Development is aware of this limitation and it will be addressed in a future release.  However, the specific release has not yet been determined and a definitive timeline is not yet in place.

If there are concerns about the current value of the transactionnum in the transactionxlog table in your system (e.g. the value is within 500 million of the 2.1 billion maximum), then it is recommended that you contact your first line of support to develop a strategy for managing the table.  Please note that there other tables with the same limitations that are worth monitoring (itemdata, securitylog, wftransactionlog). 

Jay_MacVean
Star Collaborator
Star Collaborator

Rob, I have customers who are fighting this table size. Should I bother with an enhancement request on this topic? My notion to help the existing customers is to give the administrator a choice of deleting the log files selectively.  The process of purging them now creates (useless) System Docs.  I'd rather be given the option to purge the logs without creating a system report which ties up the system and creates mamoth reports nobody reads.

Not applicable

Jay-

In 9.0 we added an option to NOT create a report when purging the log.  This should help customers when purging, as would a clustered index on logdate in transactionxlog (which I will hopefully get a blog post out today about).  The clustered index is something you would need to go through support and our group to get, but for customers who purge by date, it can provide big benefits.  

Erin