cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is the data transferred over the ODBC connection encrypted during transmission?

Derick_Geisend4
Champ in-the-making
Champ in-the-making

I have a client asking if there is any encryption on the communication channel (ODBC) between the clients and the DB.  And if not, how can we secure that communication.

1 ACCEPTED ANSWER

Ansley_Ingram
Elite Collaborator
Elite Collaborator

Hi Derick,

By default, only the login packet of the ODBC connection to SQL Server is encrypted. There are options available at the ODBC level and instance level to require encryption for all traffic. This TechNet article gives more information on that topic. 

I suspect that Oracle ODBC drivers and instances also have some encryption options. 

Hope that helps.

Ansley

View answer in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Ansley_Ingram
Elite Collaborator
Elite Collaborator

Hi Derick,

By default, only the login packet of the ODBC connection to SQL Server is encrypted. There are options available at the ODBC level and instance level to require encryption for all traffic. This TechNet article gives more information on that topic. 

I suspect that Oracle ODBC drivers and instances also have some encryption options. 

Hope that helps.

Ansley

You mentioned only the login packet of the ODBC connection to SQL Server is encrypted, how can I prove or provide this to a customer that is being asked by auditors to proved some proof that Hyland database users (hsi,hsinet,hsicore) passwords are encrypted?

This article from Microsoft describes the default encryption of login packets to SQL Server and other encryption options available. docs.microsoft.com/.../using-encryption-without-validation

Derick_Geisend4
Champ in-the-making
Champ in-the-making

Thanks Ansley.  Any requirements / reccomendations from Hyland on how to secure this connection?

Getting started

Find what you came for

We want to make your experience in Hyland Connect as valuable as possible, so we put together some helpful links.