Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is SQL Express supported for the Hyland IDP's Operational Database

Jim_Bullen1
Champ in-the-making
Champ in-the-making

Hello,

Just wondering if SQL Express would be a platform supported by Hyland to run the Operational Database for the Hyland IdP?

I also noticed that there have been additional tables added to the Operational Database in new versions of the Hyland IdP.  Originally my understanding was that it is a "runtime database" and that no data is stored in the tables permanently.  Is this still accurate or does it now retain data in the new tables?

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED ANSWER

Chris_O_Connor
Content Contributor
Content Contributor

Hey @Jim Bullen ,

The team was able to test and verify locally that SQL Express works for the Hyland IdP Operational database.

A couple other things to note, as this testing was focused on quickly getting a working environment. Please follow security rules as per the policies for your environment. This also was not tested under a heavy load like we would for the full version of SQL or Oracle. So while we don't forsee any issues, use at your own risk. 

A few things they did during setup that might be slightly different:

• Enable SQL Server and Windows Authentication mode
  • Enable TCP
  • Add a SQL user login and provide privileges (public, securityadmin)
  • Provide the SQL user access to the newly created DB
  • Create a new schema (they used HSI) and give the SQL user account db_owner and db-securityadmin

Outside of that, it was just creating the Hyland IdP database through the Admin UI or CLI as you would normally with SQL.

May I ask why you would use SQL Express? For instance an added layer of security or separation from the OnBase database?

If you have any trouble or questions, please let me know. 

View answer in original post

9 REPLIES 9

aboucher
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @Jim Bullen,

I am reaching out to our Identity and Access Management team to see if SQL Express is supported for the Hyland IDP's Operational Database.  We will get back to you as soon as we have information or subsequent questions. 

Thanks, 

~Alan 

Jim_Bullen1
Champ in-the-making
Champ in-the-making

@Alan Boucher 

Any update on this?  We are waiting on an answer to determine the architecture for a deployment.

Thanks!

Hi @Jim Bullen,

Here is some information from Product Management:

SQL Express testing should be completed in the next few days. It does seem to be working but there may be some specific permissions or settings that would need to be changed. However, the team was able to setup it up and as long as the connection string is working, then Hyland IdP is working. Any caveats will be documented for all customers to see.

As of Hyland IdP v3.1.0 - The Hyland IdP now uses a persistent ID from a third-party provider instead of the username as the unique identifier to locate and provision users (IAMPRO-14). This requires us to store mapped user and thus persistent data. They can be mapped on login or manually imported. Either way, it requires persistent data for the associated ID. More information can be provided if you need it.

We will keep you informed when testing is complete.

Thanks for your patience,

~Alan

@Alan Boucher 

Thank you for the update!  I look forward to seeing the documentation when it is ready.  Thanks!