cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is Distribution Service supported in OnBase 19 (Foundations)?

Dillon_Miller
Champ on-the-rise
Champ on-the-rise

Several months ago I completed the OnBase System Administrator course, and I recalled the instructor informing us that as of OnBase v19 (Foundations) notifications would no longer be sent through the Hyland Distribution Windows service. I may have misunderstood, and looking into it now it appears that what she was referring to was Workflow Timers being migrated to Unity Scheduler, but I wanted to ask here to make sure I wasn't missing anything. I am expecting to upgrade from 18 to 19 in a couple of weeks.

Thank you!

1 ACCEPTED ANSWER

Paul_Lloyd
Employee
Employee

Prior to OnBase Foundation EP1 the Distribution Service was a separate Windows Service, with its own installer. The Distribution Service Windows Service was responsible for executing the configured Distribution Service Tasks, according to the configured schedule.

The Unity Scheduler is a general-purpose Scheduler that can execute many different types of scheduled task, including Workflow Timers and Unity Scripts.

Beginning with OnBase Foundation EP1, a Unity Scheduler Distribution Service Task Type was added. So instead of being executed by a separate Windows Service, Distribution Service Tasks are scheduled and executed by the Unity Scheduler.

The screenshot below shows a number of the available Task Types, including the Email Sending Task Type,  which is the Distribution Service Task Type.

(The  exact Task Types available depend on which Products are licensed)

c787f59d81de403689cf5038b072d0b5

Details of the Distribution Service Unity Scheduler Task may be found in the Unity Scheduler Module Reference Guide (MRG). The Foundation EP1 Unity Scheduler MRG may be found here:

https://community.hyland.com/gallery/items/69394-unity-scheduler-onbase-foundation-ep1-module-refere...

View answer in original post

13 REPLIES 13

Paul_Lloyd
Employee
Employee

Prior to OnBase Foundation EP1 the Distribution Service was a separate Windows Service, with its own installer. The Distribution Service Windows Service was responsible for executing the configured Distribution Service Tasks, according to the configured schedule.

The Unity Scheduler is a general-purpose Scheduler that can execute many different types of scheduled task, including Workflow Timers and Unity Scripts.

Beginning with OnBase Foundation EP1, a Unity Scheduler Distribution Service Task Type was added. So instead of being executed by a separate Windows Service, Distribution Service Tasks are scheduled and executed by the Unity Scheduler.

The screenshot below shows a number of the available Task Types, including the Email Sending Task Type,  which is the Distribution Service Task Type.

(The  exact Task Types available depend on which Products are licensed)

c787f59d81de403689cf5038b072d0b5

Details of the Distribution Service Unity Scheduler Task may be found in the Unity Scheduler Module Reference Guide (MRG). The Foundation EP1 Unity Scheduler MRG may be found here:

https://community.hyland.com/gallery/items/69394-unity-scheduler-onbase-foundation-ep1-module-refere...

Poul, 

After I test notification  in test setting for distribution service I didn't receive any email  

Are There any setting in scheduler service after run it should I do? 

Check that the Distribution Service Settings are correct. The Distribution Service Settings may be accessed via OnBase Configuration: from the Utils Menu select the Distribution Service Settings option.

32a36e3721b74f20bba5f89f57e9a7a9

In particular check the Temporary Cache and Email Server Settings. 

If the settings are correct, then try executing the Distribution Service Task manually from the Unity Management Console. If that works, then the most likely reason it doesn't work when executed by the Unity Scheduler is that the Windows Account that's running the Unity Scheduler Service Instance has insufficient permissions. (It's typically a Domain Account).

If executing the Task manually doesn't work either, then you may need to contact your First Line of Support for further troubleshooting

Thanks Paul,

Actually the scheduler service is  working fine and run  all task 

And I tried it in WF task that done successfully . 

Currently these error is appeared  when the timer running for notification 

Failed to send the request to recipient '<email address>'. Error code is 'MailboxUnavailable' and error message is 'Mailbox unavailable. The server response was: 5.7.1 Unable to relay .