cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is Distribution Service supported in OnBase 19 (Foundations)?

Dillon_Miller
Champ on-the-rise
Champ on-the-rise

Several months ago I completed the OnBase System Administrator course, and I recalled the instructor informing us that as of OnBase v19 (Foundations) notifications would no longer be sent through the Hyland Distribution Windows service. I may have misunderstood, and looking into it now it appears that what she was referring to was Workflow Timers being migrated to Unity Scheduler, but I wanted to ask here to make sure I wasn't missing anything. I am expecting to upgrade from 18 to 19 in a couple of weeks.

Thank you!

1 ACCEPTED ANSWER

Paul_Lloyd
Employee
Employee

Prior to OnBase Foundation EP1 the Distribution Service was a separate Windows Service, with its own installer. The Distribution Service Windows Service was responsible for executing the configured Distribution Service Tasks, according to the configured schedule.

The Unity Scheduler is a general-purpose Scheduler that can execute many different types of scheduled task, including Workflow Timers and Unity Scripts.

Beginning with OnBase Foundation EP1, a Unity Scheduler Distribution Service Task Type was added. So instead of being executed by a separate Windows Service, Distribution Service Tasks are scheduled and executed by the Unity Scheduler.

The screenshot below shows a number of the available Task Types, including the Email Sending Task Type,  which is the Distribution Service Task Type.

(The  exact Task Types available depend on which Products are licensed)

c787f59d81de403689cf5038b072d0b5

Details of the Distribution Service Unity Scheduler Task may be found in the Unity Scheduler Module Reference Guide (MRG). The Foundation EP1 Unity Scheduler MRG may be found here:

https://community.hyland.com/gallery/items/69394-unity-scheduler-onbase-foundation-ep1-module-refere...

View answer in original post

13 REPLIES 13

That sounds like a problem with the email server settings or with the email account that's being used. If these errors are only appearing when using the Scheduler, not when executing manually, then that suggests that the email system is not accessible from the Scheduler Service. This may be because the Windows Account that's running the service does not have the correct access rights, or possibly the email server is not accessible from the server that is running the Scheduler Service. Your First Line of Support should be able to help with further troubleshooting if needed.

Yes I will check that 

Thank you 

Another thing on here that I am curious about is previously the messages were being sent out dynamically. How is the new Distribution Service being run in the Unity Scheduler going to accomplish this?

Previously the Distribution Service used a dedicated Windows Service to run a schedule that periodically (every few minutes, I think) executed the Distribution Service Task. There was very little control (possibly none) over the exact interval.

Since OnBase Foundation EP1, the Unity Scheduler executes the Distribution Service Task, according to whatever Schedule is configured for it. 

The actual Distribution Service Task, which is responsible for sending the emails, is the same; but instead of having a hard-coded interval in its own Windows Service it's now executed as a Unity Scheduler Task with a fully configurable schedule.

Alright, good to know. I always thought the Distribution Service was dynamic, not scheduled. So good to know. 🙂