cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

If Test System Creation only works on a Production source database...it's of no value for us.

Marcus_Christi2
Elite Collaborator
Elite Collaborator

The beauty of Config Migration is that it really didn't care what you were doing: Test to Test, Prod to Test, etc. It's just creating a standalone instance, does the DBUtil for you, does the base migrate for you, etc. It's also in the GUI which helps newer developers.

In trying Test System Creation, there's apparently a showstopper. I'm straight guessing here based on the error.

EDIT: Here's the real "problem" now that I've had a chance to dig deeper.

If you have any pilot/eval licenses in place that are near to or past expiration date, TSC throws a message that leads you to believe that Multi-User Server (or Single User Server) is pilot and expired. Which isn't true.

There's apparently an SCR about the message, but not about the root cause, which is what I believe I've just found.

When you log into Config you get a warning about any pilot licensing that's due to expire. My theory - and it's only a theory based on what I'm seeing - is that TSC is encountering the equivalent of this pilot expiring/expired message and just bombing without due diligence: "oh, they're secondary licenses, I don't care, I'll just keep going" or even better, "oh, it's a Development environment, I don't care, I'll just keep going". I also don't find a way to proceed past the error; some switch that says -IGNOREPILOTWARNING or something, so you're not completely stopped.

More info: it may only affect test environments created through Config Migration and activated with a certificate, vs. a callback code. More investigation happening.

Config Migration, of course, didn't care. It happily created the database without being completely blocked, and even when there was an issue, you always had a way to fix it.

1 ACCEPTED ANSWER

Marcus_Christi2
Elite Collaborator
Elite Collaborator

Posting as an Answer after additional research.

Issue referenced in original post is isolated to build 18.0.0.32. Running Test System Creation for 18.0.0.37 did not have this issue, but had a different issue related to DBUtil that isn't well documented in the MRG (and really should be for whatever TSC MRG there happens to be). A laymen user who isn't/wasn't OCI would have no way of knowing this.

Test System Creation wants the database built in DBUtils a specific way, and the only way to do that is to build out using the DB steps:

- Create Users

- Create All Tables

- Grant Rights To Tables

- Create All Indexes

If you let DBUtils run the default way, it will do the Initialize System Data step, which breaks TSC. But the MRG doesn't tell you that.

View answer in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Joel_Moore1
Star Contributor
Star Contributor

Hi Marcus,

I do not have much experience with this utility, but we have it documented in the System Admin MRG that you should be able to create a Test system from another Test System:

I think it would be best to get in contact with your first line of support and work with them to figure out where things are going wrong.

Hope this helps,

Joel

Ryan_Wilson1
Employee
Employee

Hi Marcus,

As Joel said, it should work on a test or development environment. What is the error you are receiving? Also, what type of license does the source system have (if not multi-user server)?

Marcus_Christi2
Elite Collaborator
Elite Collaborator

Posting as an Answer after additional research.

Issue referenced in original post is isolated to build 18.0.0.32. Running Test System Creation for 18.0.0.37 did not have this issue, but had a different issue related to DBUtil that isn't well documented in the MRG (and really should be for whatever TSC MRG there happens to be). A laymen user who isn't/wasn't OCI would have no way of knowing this.

Test System Creation wants the database built in DBUtils a specific way, and the only way to do that is to build out using the DB steps:

- Create Users

- Create All Tables

- Grant Rights To Tables

- Create All Indexes

If you let DBUtils run the default way, it will do the Initialize System Data step, which breaks TSC. But the MRG doesn't tell you that.

Nate_Callahan
Star Contributor
Star Contributor

Does anyone know if this is a problem in EP3? I'm running into this same error...