cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Identity Provider Server - SAML - Have you been able to generate metadata successfully?

Jim_Baad
Star Collaborator
Star Collaborator

We are currently evaluating the Identity Provider Server for providing SAML authentication for Onbase.  I have gotten pretty far in the setup and I was getting ready to generate metadata so that our shibboleth server admins could configure our service provider for use with our shibboleth server.  However when I go to generate metadata xml (http://[IdP_Root_Path]/[tenant]/[user_pop]/[provider]/metadata)  I receive an error that says Value cannot be null. Parameter name: certificate  

I've double-checked my x509 certificate settings and have tried few things that first-line-of-support recommended but so far I haven't gotten it to work - has anyone had success with this and if so would you mind sharing what procedure you went through to generate certificates and how you stored them?

1 ACCEPTED ANSWER

Chad_Yarmock
Confirmed Champ
Confirmed Champ

Hi Jim,

Thank you for posting your question to Community.

Do the X509 certificates you are using have the following Key Usage values?

- Digital Signature
- Key Encipherment

You can find this information on the "Details" tab of the certificate.

Also, does the account running your Application Pool for the IdP have READ access to the Private Key that corresponds to the certificates you are using?

Edit for visibility:

Open the IDP web.config file in Notepad++ and change the Encoding to ANSI and see if there are any Unicode looking characters in your "findValue" fields that reference the certificate thumbprints. If so remove them and recycle the AppPool and try again.

View answer in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Chad_Yarmock
Confirmed Champ
Confirmed Champ

Hi Jim,

Thank you for posting your question to Community.

Do the X509 certificates you are using have the following Key Usage values?

- Digital Signature
- Key Encipherment

You can find this information on the "Details" tab of the certificate.

Also, does the account running your Application Pool for the IdP have READ access to the Private Key that corresponds to the certificates you are using?

Edit for visibility:

Open the IDP web.config file in Notepad++ and change the Encoding to ANSI and see if there are any Unicode looking characters in your "findValue" fields that reference the certificate thumbprints. If so remove them and recycle the AppPool and try again.

Chad are you referring to the Enhanced key usage property?

Chad - I was able to generate a new certificate that has the following for Key Usage: Digital Signature, Key Encipherment (a0). I referenced this certificate for both my signing and encryption certificate and I am still receiving the same error - also I have ensured the app pool user has read rights to the private key.

Hi Jim,

One other thing that came to mind after I initially replied.. Can you open your IDP web.config file in Notepad++ and change the Encoding to ANSI and see if there are any Unicode looking characters in your "findValue" fields that reference the certificate thumbprints. If so remove them and recycle the AppPool and try again.