cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I have a customer requirement to move documents older than 2 years from one disk group to a cheaper disk group. How can this be achieved?

Harry_Siemer
Star Contributor
Star Contributor

We are storing bank statements with 2 copies to a high speed disk group. When the statements are older than 2 years (based on Statement date), we want to move them to another disk group. Can this be done as a workflow step or scripted with timers?

2 ACCEPTED ANSWERS

AdamShaneHyland
Employee
Employee

Hi Harry!

Thanks for the post.

I suppose that you could do it via a script or Workflow, though I would recommend using Workflow and Document Retention to accomplish this.  The easiest solution I can think of would be to have an archived document type for these documents.  The archived document type would be assigned to the "non-high speed" disk group.  You could use Workflow to re-index the documents to a new document type.  As for the date trigger, you could use Document Retention to evaluate the documents based on 2 years from storage date and then put them into Workflow.

Hope this helps.

View answer in original post

MichaelBertrand
Star Collaborator
Star Collaborator

You should not have to lean as much on workflow to do this. Setting up and re-assigning to new document types just sounds like a bit of a nightmare, especially if those document types are in custom queries, cross-references, folders, workflow related documents etc.

How about setting up a second copy of the diskgroup(s) and periodically promoting the diskgroup then deleting copy 1 of older volumes. At best this would be semi-automatic but it would avoid having to duplicate document types. All the document types in that diskgroup would be affected, so some re-working of the document type to disk group might be required. 

The back-of-the-napkin solution I would propose is:

- Create a new e-form (unity form) with 2 new keywords: Interval (num 9) and date last run (date). Interval is how often (days) you want to close the disk group, this will depend on the DG configuration (CD-DVD-BR) and how fast it fills up. 

- Create a WF queue with timer work that checks the above form to evaluate if today is at or past the interval since date last run (is today = date last run + interval) If true run a SYS - PROMOTE DISK GROUP on the DG and to be cute send a notification to the OnBase admin to remind them that the action has run and that some copy 1 may need to be deleted.

- In the Thick Client go to Platter Management and the Disk Group, then evaluate which Volumes are old enough. Run a DG analysis on them to ensure that copy 1 and 2 have the same files, then delete the copy 1 of older volumes.

Another solution is to invest in a hierarchical storage management solution that will abstract from OnBase the high-cost vs. low-cost / fast vs. slow storage. It is the right tool for the job.

View answer in original post

4 REPLIES 4

AdamShaneHyland
Employee
Employee

Hi Harry!

Thanks for the post.

I suppose that you could do it via a script or Workflow, though I would recommend using Workflow and Document Retention to accomplish this.  The easiest solution I can think of would be to have an archived document type for these documents.  The archived document type would be assigned to the "non-high speed" disk group.  You could use Workflow to re-index the documents to a new document type.  As for the date trigger, you could use Document Retention to evaluate the documents based on 2 years from storage date and then put them into Workflow.

Hope this helps.

Harry_Siemer
Star Contributor
Star Contributor

Thanks Adam. I thought that I would have to do a workflow / reindex, and you have confirmed.

Thanks for your assistance.

MichaelBertrand
Star Collaborator
Star Collaborator

You should not have to lean as much on workflow to do this. Setting up and re-assigning to new document types just sounds like a bit of a nightmare, especially if those document types are in custom queries, cross-references, folders, workflow related documents etc.

How about setting up a second copy of the diskgroup(s) and periodically promoting the diskgroup then deleting copy 1 of older volumes. At best this would be semi-automatic but it would avoid having to duplicate document types. All the document types in that diskgroup would be affected, so some re-working of the document type to disk group might be required. 

The back-of-the-napkin solution I would propose is:

- Create a new e-form (unity form) with 2 new keywords: Interval (num 9) and date last run (date). Interval is how often (days) you want to close the disk group, this will depend on the DG configuration (CD-DVD-BR) and how fast it fills up. 

- Create a WF queue with timer work that checks the above form to evaluate if today is at or past the interval since date last run (is today = date last run + interval) If true run a SYS - PROMOTE DISK GROUP on the DG and to be cute send a notification to the OnBase admin to remind them that the action has run and that some copy 1 may need to be deleted.

- In the Thick Client go to Platter Management and the Disk Group, then evaluate which Volumes are old enough. Run a DG analysis on them to ensure that copy 1 and 2 have the same files, then delete the copy 1 of older volumes.

Another solution is to invest in a hierarchical storage management solution that will abstract from OnBase the high-cost vs. low-cost / fast vs. slow storage. It is the right tool for the job.

Carl_Vincent
Confirmed Champ
Confirmed Champ

You can do something else too, Promote your DG each years or as you which Like Michael said, but instead of deleting diskgroup and keep 2 copies, you only need to "Move" platter to another location (UNC path) that is based on Archival type Harddrive.

After that each year you take all the promoted volumes after 2 years, you have always promote once a year your DG.

My two cents.