cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hyland Software User Agreement

Ryan_Wilson2
Star Contributor
Star Contributor

I have found a case where the Unity API can not perform the operations I need.

Namely, it can not tell me what document types are associated with a User Group.

I wrote a SELECT (only) query which returns each User Group with the Document Types belonging to that group.

I need to know if using a custom select query to the OnBase database violates the user agreement.

Just to reiterate, this does not modify data in any way, it is just a view of data.

1 ACCEPTED ANSWER

Rene_Diaz
Confirmed Champ
Confirmed Champ

Per Hyland's Database Use policy only Insert, Update and Delete Statements violate the Agreement but direct SQL queries, while not the recommended approach, are allowed as long as they are Select Statements

Accessing the OnBase Database to Retrieve Data

OnBase provides an API that makes access to documents and their attributes straightforward. Through

the API, information required to interact with OnBase is accessible. This is the only recommended access

to the database.

Against our recommendation, direct SQL queries can be written if no other method is available for

capturing required information. The only allowable DML query that directly accesses an OnBase table is a

SELECT statement.

Caution: Queries that are not written with the index schemas and data distributions in mind

can become long-running queries that will consume substantial database server resources

and adversely affect the overall system.

All queries created for the direct access to the database should be run in a profiler by the customer DBA

to review the database optimizer access plan. This analysis needs to be performed against the live

database or a database of similar size with similar data distribution for all tables involved in the query.

The DBA should verify that the query is well formed and not I/O intensive. The data access plans should

be documented to provide a baseline in case database performance degrades at a later time.

If requested, Hyland Software will review a query to verify the construction and performance

characteristics.

View answer in original post

2 REPLIES 2

Rene_Diaz
Confirmed Champ
Confirmed Champ

Per Hyland's Database Use policy only Insert, Update and Delete Statements violate the Agreement but direct SQL queries, while not the recommended approach, are allowed as long as they are Select Statements

Accessing the OnBase Database to Retrieve Data

OnBase provides an API that makes access to documents and their attributes straightforward. Through

the API, information required to interact with OnBase is accessible. This is the only recommended access

to the database.

Against our recommendation, direct SQL queries can be written if no other method is available for

capturing required information. The only allowable DML query that directly accesses an OnBase table is a

SELECT statement.

Caution: Queries that are not written with the index schemas and data distributions in mind

can become long-running queries that will consume substantial database server resources

and adversely affect the overall system.

All queries created for the direct access to the database should be run in a profiler by the customer DBA

to review the database optimizer access plan. This analysis needs to be performed against the live

database or a database of similar size with similar data distribution for all tables involved in the query.

The DBA should verify that the query is well formed and not I/O intensive. The data access plans should

be documented to provide a baseline in case database performance degrades at a later time.

If requested, Hyland Software will review a query to verify the construction and performance

characteristics.

Thank you Rene.